Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AlastairMajury
Level: Power Up

PowerApps not allowing fields to be Edited

Hi,

I have a locally hosted MySQL database with an on premises gateway for PowerApps, this has Root access (well the root username/password) and PowerApps is connecting successfully to the database otherwise, returning results for the gallery and form views and allowing searching. 

However when going to edit mode, the fields aren't showing as be editable. These are mostly VarChar(255) fields.

Ms Access also has access to the MySQL database via a System ODBC and can edit fields and insert new rows, updates made via MS Access are reflecting in what PowerApps shows.

What needs to be done in order to allow for users via the PowerApps app to be able to edit fields (when in edit mode) or insert new records?

Is this setup able to accomodate being able to edit records and insert new records? 

The datatypes can be changed if required.

Gateway.PNGGatewayMSAccess.PNGMS Access view of the TableMySQL.PNGMySQL view of TableODBC32.PNGODBC32 detailsScreenshot 2019-01-15 06.53.23.pngPowerApps Data SourceScreenshot 2019-01-15 06.53.35.pngOptions available for the DB table

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: PowerApps not allowing fields to be Edited

Hi @AlastairMajury

For PowerApps to add and edit records, the underlying table must contain a column that's defined as a primary key.  

From your screenshot, I notice that your NameID column is set to nullable so I suspect there isn't a primary key on this table.

If you define a primary key and refresh your data source, that should hopefully fix the problem.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Hi @AlastairMajury

For PowerApps to add and edit records, the underlying table must contain a column that's defined as a primary key.  

From your screenshot, I notice that your NameID column is set to nullable so I suspect there isn't a primary key on this table.

If you define a primary key and refresh your data source, that should hopefully fix the problem.

AlastairMajury
Level: Power Up

@timl

Thanks, I knew/hoped it would be something silly/simple. 

Sorry a couple more of hopefully quick/silly Qs. 

Can the BLOB datatype be used with MySQL and PowerApps? - Being able to display/add a picture on the app would be a nice to have.

Also for other users on the same Office 365 licence to be able to use the App, what is required? 

Is an Azure gateway required to allow more than one user to be able to access/use the App?

BLOB DataType.PNGBLOB DataTypeGateway2.PNGGatewayScreenshot 2019-01-16 16.39.23.png2nd User

Super User
Super User

Hi @AlastairMajury

I don't think that MySQL supports the blob data type, but Kris(@v-xida-msft) can maybe confirm this.

A normal installation of the on-premises gateway will allow multiple users to use and access your app. There isn't anything else that you need to configure.

To make your app available to users, you would need to share/publish it and you can find more details about this here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/save-publish-app

The only other point about sharing apps with users with Office 365 users is that there will be a licensing change in February which will require all users to have a Plan 1 or above license to use the on-premises gateway.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/PowerApps-Plan-Change-2-1-2019/m-p/188789#M61... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 4,524 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: