One of our apps was previously using the Muhimbi PDF converter within one of our flows. This required users to log into their muhimbi account for the functionality to work properly. The expecnsive flow connector has been replaced with an in-house azure function and the previous flow was removed from the application, as well as the muhimbi connection within our organization connection lists.
However, the App is still asking for Muhimbi permission. Has anyone run into this issue before that might be able to share some insight into a possible fix?
Thank you in advance for your help!
Ok I got similiar issue and solved it. You might want to check this in PowerApps:
-First go to edit your app in PowerApps.
-Next go to "Show"/"View"* tab and check "Data sources"
-Delete any data source or flow that is not used anymore or might use the Muhimbi PDF connection.
Removing connections or flows doesn't remove these data sources so you have to manually delete them too. When I deleted the old data sources my problem was solved. No more asking premissions to connections that is not needed.
*Not excatly sure what this is called since I have my PowerApps in different language than English, but it should be like the second last tab there.
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, this was one of the first steps we took. The data source has both been deleted from the app, as well as from our entire organization, yet still asks for permission to be used. Not sure if it's a caching issue at this point. It's been 2 weeks now, and still no response from Microsoft.