cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
maxtarneberg
Level: Powered On

SaveData Invalid Argument Type, Expecting one of the following, Text, Number, Boolean

Hi,

I am trying to save images that are added into my Collection called MyPicture using the following code:

According to the syntax I have seen it is simply SaveData(Collection,"FileName")

My code added to a Submit Button:

OnSelect Navigate(BrowseScreen1,ScreenTransition.Fade) & SubmitForm(Form1) & SaveData(MyPicture, "Photos")

However I am getting this error:

Invalid Argument Type, Expecting one of the follwing, Text, Number, Boolean.

...and I have no idea why because "Photos" is clearly Text

Questions:

1) Where am I going wrong with the syntax?

2) Where is this trying to save things, and do I need a datasource to do so? I would like to use one.

3) Is this the stage where I make up a filename e.g. "Photos" or should there already be a place called "Photos"?

Many thanks in advance,

Max

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

Re: SaveData Invalid Argument Type, Expecting one of the following, Text, Number, Boolean

Questions:

To add multiple statements in a single expression, you should use the semicolon ( ; ) to separate them, not the ampersand ( & ). Something like this would work:

Navigate(BrowseScreen1,ScreenTransition.Fade); SubmitForm(Form1); SaveData(MyPicture, "Photos")

2) Where is this trying to save things, and do I need a datasource to do so? I would like to use one.

SaveData will save in the local storage of the device. If you want to save images on a data source, then SaveData is not your friend. There are some data sources that support images (CDS, Excel on Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive), and some that don't.

3) Is this the stage where I make up a filename e.g. "Photos" or should there already be a place called "Photos"?

"Photos" is the name of an internal file where the collection (MyPicture) is saved, which you can access via the LoadData function.

4 REPLIES 4
PowerApps Staff

Re: SaveData Invalid Argument Type, Expecting one of the following, Text, Number, Boolean

Questions:

To add multiple statements in a single expression, you should use the semicolon ( ; ) to separate them, not the ampersand ( & ). Something like this would work:

Navigate(BrowseScreen1,ScreenTransition.Fade); SubmitForm(Form1); SaveData(MyPicture, "Photos")

SaveData will save in the local storage of the device. If you want to save images on a data source, then SaveData is not your friend. There are some data sources that support images (CDS, Excel on Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive), and some that don't.

"Photos" is the name of an internal file where the collection (MyPicture) is saved, which you can access via the LoadData function.

maxtarneberg

Hi @CarlosFigueira

Thank you so much for your help with this, it is much appreciated.

If SaveData is not my friend, what is? Is is Patch?

Max

PowerApps Staff

Yes, you can use Patch to store data; you can take a look at one of the template apps (New -> App Templates; choose the Site Inspection, for example) for an example of saving photos.

maxtarneberg

Thank you @CarlosFigueira for your help, much appreciated.