cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching/ filtering a form

Hi,

I have created a gallery of all of the schools that I manage. When i click on a school it will give me all of the info about the school. Since there is so much information, I was wondering if there is a way to search/filter the form that is displaying the information.

Kind regards

Matt

9 REPLIES 9
Eickhel
Level 8

Re: Searching/ filtering a form

Hi Matt,

From what I understand, do you want to filter/search items in your gallery?

There are some examples to do this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-filter-lookup

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/show-images-text-gallery-sort-filter

Hope it helps

Hi

Im not trying to filter from the gallery but the form that shows the info about the schools. Sadly i cant go straight from the gallery because it would then give me info from all the schools rather than my specific selected one. Do you get what i mean?

Eickhel
Level 8

Not really, could you please give me an screenshot?

Super User
Super User

Hi @MatthewInwards,

Please try this.  I am assuming you have a gallery with the Items property Schools (lets say it is named SchoolGallery).  Set the focus on one of the items in the gallery. Then create a new screen of the blank type. Name it ViewSchool.  On this new screen insert a View form. Make the DataSource property: Schools. Make the Item property of the SchoolGallery.Selected (This is the critical one that selects the record in the datasource that you want to look at).   In the right hand side on your screen, you will see at the top under Data you should see Schools listed as your data source.  Click on this data row and a flyout  will appear to the left that shows all of your fields that can be viewed.  Click the ones you want to see and unclick the ones you want to hide. You can move them up and down to change the order in which they are displayed.  You can also change whether the data is on the side or below the column name.  Put a button on the screen and change the name to Back, Make the OnSelect property of the button: Back(Fade). Go back to the Gallery screen and put a > icon in the Gallery.  Make its OnSelect property Navigate(ViewSchool,Fade).  The two screens should look something like this. Clicking on the > icon in your Gallery, will navigate you to the ViewScreen and the data from the Selected school will be shown.  You will be surprised at how much information you can put on a View form. 99% of the time, a form, either view or edit type will require both a Data Source and an Item property.  The data source specifies the Table and the Item property specifies the row in the table. Usually, Item property has to match a selection in a Gallery or Datatable control.  GalleryScreen.PNGGalleryScreenViewScreen.PNGViewScreen

You are completely right in the sense of that is what I have done, but what I need to now do is add a search bar to that information about the school. I was wondering if that is even possible? I hope you can help Smiley Happy
Super User
Super User

What platform are you using? Sharepoint, excel, Sal server, etc

I am using Sharepoint

Super User
Super User

If I have found the solution to your question, please mark it as solved.  

You can let Powerapps do all of the work in setting up your app with a search bar and creating a view and edit screen too. Before you start, go to Sharepoint and copy the URL of your list.  Then go to web.powerapps.com and sign in.  On the left hand side click Data and then connectors.  If you don't have a Sharepoint connector listed, create one by clicking + new connection near the top left of the screen.  Select the Sharepoint one, it was the third one down on my screen.  Complete the steps and once you have the connection to Sharepoint, go to the Apps choice above Data.  Choose the Create an app near the top left.  Select the Sharepoint connection and put the URL of your list in the box.  Hit the go button and your lists will be shown.  Pick the Schools list and hit connect.  In about 20 seconds, Powerapps will create a complete app for you with a Gallery screen, a view screen and an edit screen.  You can play around with it, look at the controls and formulas in them and customize it to fit your needs.  Have fun and good luck!

Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @MatthewInwards,

Do you want to add a search bar within the Display form (or Edit form) of your app to filter the school info?

If you want to add a search bar within the Display form (or Edit form) of your app to filter the school info, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

The school info displayed within the Display form (or Edit form) is based on the Data cards that you select within the Fields part as below:1.JPG

Currently, we could not add a search bar to change the Data cards displayed within the Display form (or Edit form) dynamically.

More details about the Data cards in PowerApps, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/working-with-cards

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 160 members 4,539 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: