cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnP
Level 8

Split - Accessing specific row (by index)

I have a comma separated list which I split into a table with the Split() function. But I'm not certain how I can access a row directly by index? Something like this would be logical (where CurrentIndex is a variable somewhere else in the screen):

Split(AxisXLabels; ",")[CurrentIndex]

Any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

Re: Split - Accessing specific row (by index)

Currently there is no function to access directly an item by a specific index - you can consider creating a new feature request in the PowerApps Ideas board for this.

Notice that you already can do that, using a pair of FirstN and Last functions: to access the N-th item in a table, you can use the following expression:

Last(FirstN(table, N))

In your case, you can get the value as

Last(FirstN(Split(AxisXLabels; ","); CurrentIndex))
7 REPLIES 7
PowerApps Staff

Currently there is no function to access directly an item by a specific index - you can consider creating a new feature request in the PowerApps Ideas board for this.

Notice that you already can do that, using a pair of FirstN and Last functions: to access the N-th item in a table, you can use the following expression:

Last(FirstN(table, N))

In your case, you can get the value as

Last(FirstN(Split(AxisXLabels; ","); CurrentIndex))
Highlighted
JohnP
Level 8

Thanks for the workaround Smiley Happy I did a LookUp to work around this, but your idea is better/shorter for my use.

Actually someone already proposed an index based approach to collection/tables and it was declined:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Collection-indexer-Collection-index/idi-p/2591

NoumanQ
Level: Powered On

Thanks for the solution. Seeminly complex problem with a simple solution. Thanks 

kbirstein1

I don't understand this, can someone give a complete example? I have a collection that has one column and four rows. The column is called "ID", so it looks like this:

ID

I would like to access the value in the third row, 10. However, this syntax:

Last(FirstN(colLabelChangeIDs,2))

does not work. The error says: 
"The property expects text values. But this rule produces incompatible record values".

I have seen this error a lot and understand that it has to do with records vs. single values. 

However, the description of "FirstN" is so laughably inadequate in the Microsoft "documentation" it's impossible to understand how it works.

PowerApps Staff

If you have that expression in a Label, then you need to access the ID property of your collection:

Last(FirstN(colLabelChangeIDs,2)).ID

Notice that this will show you the value in the second row, not the third one (as the first element has index 1). To show the third ID from your collection (i.e., the number 10), you'd use this expression:

Last(FirstN(colLabelChangeIDs, 3)).ID

Hope this helps.

MichelH

I notice this doesn't work for me.

I tried to pull appart a string   "69, 85, 101, 0.8"  to feed the parts into the RGBA funtion to color a label alike.

To get something usable, I had to add the .Result and use the Value function, even though the strings comming out of the Split seemed appropriate input. 

RGBA(
Value( First( Split( FocusBorder.Text,",") ).Result ),
Value( Last( FirstN( Split( FocusBorder.Text,","), 2) ).Result ),
Value( Last( FirstN( Split( FocusBorder.Text,","), 3) ).Result ),
Value( Last( Split( FocusBorder.Text,",") ).Result )
)

Thanks for the  Last( FirstN( array , N) )   trick!!

CalfordMath

Brilliant workaround! @CarlosFigueira  Thanks.  Works for my needs.

Last(FirstN(table, N))