cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helpful
Level 8

Unable to Patch CDS entity option set value from drop down selection

I have a custom CDS entity, Time Entry, with a local option set defined, "Time Type".

In my canvas app, the setting for "Relational data, option sets, and other new features for CDS" is ENABLED

It has two screens:

1. Gallery of Time Entries - when a user selects a record the SelectedTimeEntry variable is set to ThisItem
  2. Form of a single Time Entry - fields load data from SelectedTimeEntry if it's not blank

On the form, dropdown properties are set like:

Items = Choices('Time Entries'.'Time Type')
Default = If(!IsBlank(SelectedTimeEntry), SelectedTimeEntry.'Time Type', Blank())

The form loads values as expected.

I have a button on which I have tried different Patch formulas:

OnSelect = Patch('Time Entries', SelectedTimeEntry, {'Time Type': DrpEntryType.Selected})

This syntax produces the error message:  "The type of this argument 'abc_timetype' does not match the expected type 'OptionSetValue'.  Found type 'Record'."

OnSelect = Patch('Time Entries', SelectedTimeEntry, {'Time Type': DrpEntryType.Selected.Value})

This syntax produces the error message:  "The type of this argument 'abc_timetype' does not match the expected type 'OptionSetValue'.  Found type 'Text'."

I have reviewed some videos and other materials that suggest one of the prior options should work.  I see other posts where they resolve the issue by explicitly coding an option set value like this:

OnSelect = Patch('Time Entries', SelectedTimeEntry, {'Time Type': 'Time Type (Time Entries)'.Work})

While this syntax functions as expected (the Type is updated to Work), it doesn't allow the user to specify the value using the dropdown.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Helpful
Level 8

Re: Unable to Patch CDS entity option set value from drop down selection

Hi @Lachlan_w ,

I ended up changing all of my drop downs to comboboxes.  I did this change for things that allow users to select from an Option Set, as well as an entity LookUp.  I deselect "Allow multiple selections" in both cases for my needs because I want them to basically bahave like a drop down.

The patch now works correctly and looks like this:

OnSelect = Patch('Time Entries', SelectedTimeEntry, {'Time Type': ComTypeEntryValue.Selected.Value})

My combobox items are populated like this:

Items = Choices('Time Type (Time Entries)')

And the "Primary Text" property of the combobox is set to "Value".

I then had the issue of how to set them to empty after a user visits the screen.  My data does not have any blank records in it so I need the controls to appear blank before a user selects a value when creating a new record (vs. editing an existing one).

First I reset my comboboxes using the screen's "OnVisible" property:

OnVisible = Reset(ComTypeEntryValue);

Then on the combobox:

DefaultSelectedItems = If(!IsBlank(SelectedTimeEntry), Filter(Choices('Time Entries'.'Time Type'),Value=SelectedTimeEntry.'Time Type'), Blank())

Hope that helps!  Since this does what I set out to accomplish I'm going to mark this as the solution.

3 REPLIES 3
Helpful
Level 8

Re: Unable to Patch cds entity option set value from drop down selection

I see now that a drop down control won't support this scenario since it only stores one column (in this case the Label of the option).

I'm going to try to use a combox box and see if I can get it working.

Lachlan_w
Level: Powered On

Hello - How did you go with this? I am stuck with the same thing.

Highlighted
Helpful
Level 8

Hi @Lachlan_w ,

I ended up changing all of my drop downs to comboboxes.  I did this change for things that allow users to select from an Option Set, as well as an entity LookUp.  I deselect "Allow multiple selections" in both cases for my needs because I want them to basically bahave like a drop down.

The patch now works correctly and looks like this:

OnSelect = Patch('Time Entries', SelectedTimeEntry, {'Time Type': ComTypeEntryValue.Selected.Value})

My combobox items are populated like this:

Items = Choices('Time Type (Time Entries)')

And the "Primary Text" property of the combobox is set to "Value".

I then had the issue of how to set them to empty after a user visits the screen.  My data does not have any blank records in it so I need the controls to appear blank before a user selects a value when creating a new record (vs. editing an existing one).

First I reset my comboboxes using the screen's "OnVisible" property:

OnVisible = Reset(ComTypeEntryValue);

Then on the combobox:

DefaultSelectedItems = If(!IsBlank(SelectedTimeEntry), Filter(Choices('Time Entries'.'Time Type'),Value=SelectedTimeEntry.'Time Type'), Blank())

Hope that helps!  Since this does what I set out to accomplish I'm going to mark this as the solution.