cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helpful
Level 8

When is a SharePoint folder created for a new CDS entity record?

When entity-based SharePoint document integration is setup I am wondering what triggers the creation of a folder in SharePoint for a given CDS record? It appears a folder is only created in SharePoint when a user clicks Related -> Documents in a model-driven app (vs. on record creation in CDS).

• Could anyone confirm the trigger that creates the doc library in this scenario?
  • If I have a Flow create the folder for me using the same naming convention that the integration uses will it cause a problem?

I have a Canvas app that should allow users to be able to add a new record and upload images to the corresponding SharePoint folder and this is holding me back a bit.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yutliu-msft
Level 10

Re: When is a SharePoint folder created for a new CDS entity record?

Hi @Helpful ,

Do you want to add a new record and upload images to the corresponding SharePoint doc library ?

It's a little different by using flow in PowerApps to make this.

Here's a similar issue for your reference:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Upload-Attachments-to-SharePoint-Document-Lib...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu

Highlighted
Helpful
Level 8

Re: When is a SharePoint folder created for a new CDS entity record?

Thanks, @v-yutliu-msft, for your input.

I'm not looking to add an attachment to a SP List record.  My entity records are in CDS with SharePoint Doc management configured so each entity has a corresopnding document library with each record having a corresonding folder in that library.  I want to simply add an image file to that folder.

Unfortunately, it seems there's another problem with my desired solution in that when I create a record from with the model-driven app and view related documents it creates the SP folder as designed, however, when I create a record from within the canvas app there is no SP folder created (very frustrating and opaque behavior).  I am concluding that the SP doc integration is a Dynamics capability so going through the canvas app will never produce the outcome I am looking for.

I think I will have to switch to a predetermiend SP Doc Library called "Expense Receipts" that my canvas app can be aware of and then name each file using the Expense record GUID.  I am exploring this approach today:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6xMLprDTjU

This may not be a bad outcome because I can then store the URL with the Expense record and users of the model-driven app can see the image loaded into an IFRAME on the form.