cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helpful
Level 8

When is a SharePoint folder created for a new CDS entity record?

When entity-based SharePoint document integration is setup I am wondering what triggers the creation of a folder in SharePoint for a given CDS record? It appears a folder is only created in SharePoint when a user clicks Related -> Documents in a model-driven app (vs. on record creation in CDS).

• Could anyone confirm the trigger that creates the doc library in this scenario?
  • If I have a Flow create the folder for me using the same naming convention that the integration uses will it cause a problem?

I have a Canvas app that should allow users to be able to add a new record and upload images to the corresponding SharePoint folder and this is holding me back a bit.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: When is a SharePoint folder created for a new CDS entity record?

Hi @Helpful ,

Do you want to add a new record and upload images to the corresponding SharePoint doc library ?

It's a little different by using flow in PowerApps to make this.

Here's a similar issue for your reference:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Upload-Attachments-to-SharePoint-Document-Lib...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Helpful
Level 8

Re: When is a SharePoint folder created for a new CDS entity record?

Thanks, @v-yutliu-msft, for your input.

I'm not looking to add an attachment to a SP List record.  My entity records are in CDS with SharePoint Doc management configured so each entity has a corresopnding document library with each record having a corresonding folder in that library.  I want to simply add an image file to that folder.

Unfortunately, it seems there's another problem with my desired solution in that when I create a record from with the model-driven app and view related documents it creates the SP folder as designed, however, when I create a record from within the canvas app there is no SP folder created (very frustrating and opaque behavior).  I am concluding that the SP doc integration is a Dynamics capability so going through the canvas app will never produce the outcome I am looking for.

I think I will have to switch to a predetermiend SP Doc Library called "Expense Receipts" that my canvas app can be aware of and then name each file using the Expense record GUID.  I am exploring this approach today:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6xMLprDTjU

This may not be a bad outcome because I can then store the URL with the Expense record and users of the model-driven app can see the image loaded into an IFRAME on the form.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 211 members 4,230 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: