cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbsnetadmin
Level: Power Up

Re: phone number link

Does it matter what format the phone number field (ThisItem.PhoneNumberField) is in? Ours are in standard phone number format (ie: (XXX) XXX-XXXX) and this is not working for me. I already setup the email links this way and those work fine, just not phone numbers for some reason. If so is there a way within the function to scrub non-numeric characters from the phone number?

EDIT: Launch("tel:" & Substitute(ThisItem.PhoneNumberField," ","")) will scrub the space, which iOS does not like, out of the telephone number.

AW
Level: Powered On

That's good information mbsnetadmin. Thanks
swetha

Worked Perfectly.Thanks!!

davidstone
Level 8

Thanks for this discussion. I've 'sort of' been able to use it to good effect.

I've made an app that uses this same approach, and it works fine on an Android phone. My colleague with an iPhone 7 finds that the phone app doesn't launch. He presses the button and nothing happens.

Anyone else find this not working on iPhone?

AW

Hi Davidstone.
I've been pulled away from my PowerApp work lately, so I don't have much to add except that I've used this with the iPhone since it's design and it has worked flawlessly for me. I'm currently on an iPhone 7 with the latest OS and latest version of PowerApps.

davidstone
Level 8

Ok, I've found a bug!

If you just do your Launch("Tel:07251123456") then it works on iPhone and Android no problem.

For me I was trying to get the number from SharePoint so that we didn't have to redeploy the app when someone changed numbers. That meant doing a concatenate to bring the number from SharePoint and prefix it with "Tel:", inside the launch command.

Android - no problems. iPhone - nothing happens when you press the button.

I even tried prefixing "Tel:" onto my number in SharePoint and just pointing to that in my Launch command. Again, works on Android but not on iPhone.

In the end I've had to hard code the number, as I can't find a solution that works dynamically for both platforms.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there also a Launch() functions that opens the default web browser?

davidstone
Level 8

You can launch the browser to a specific URL with:-

Launch("URL")

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any Reason why the Launch("tel:"&Mobile) function would work only on my phone but not on my colleagues. I seems for 3 other people it tries to open URL, but exactly the same button correctly pops up a call menu on my phone. We all have the same type of phone (iphone), so i can't for the live of me see why it works on mine but not on theirs. Any ideas? Capture.PNG

davidstone
Level 8

This is the same issue as I encountered. The issue goes away if you use the phone number directly rather than with a variable. The obvious downside is it means hard-coding the number, which may not work if you need to use it dynamically.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Tomorrow, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 207 members 3,146 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: