Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
OPGPowerAPPS
Level: Powered On

using search function for large data sets

Hi,

I am trying to use the search functionality on a large sharepoint data set (170,000 + entries), however delegation is not supported on the search function with sharpoint data sets. I am currently using the Filter function as a work around, but this method is too slow and inconvenient when seaching for something.

Current Code: If(Connection.Connected,Filter('Maintenance Applications', StartsWith(Title, TextSearchBox1.Text) || StartsWith(txyv, TextSearchBox1.Text) || StartsWith(pqeh, TextSearchBox1.Text)),Table({Title:" ", pqeh:" ", txyv:" ", sply:" ", vlev:" ", in9s:" ", j2ao:" "}))

Is there a work around to have the same functionality as the search function ( ex. when searching for 63481 i get 3-63481-LT43, where as the Filter function would return a blank)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: using search function for large data sets

I agree you are never going to be happy with a PowerApps app that is using a SharePoint list with 17,000 items. That type of solution is going to be better in CDS or SQL. 

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training
4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Hi @OPGPowerAPPS,

To get to use the Search functionality, you will need to pare down your list to no greater than 2000 rows using delegatable functions like Filter(), StartsWith() and Sort().  Then create a collection from the resulting list.  You can then use Search on the collection.  As you have discovered, SharePoint is not the best platform for very large lists because of the delegation issues. Sql or Common Data Service will handle them much better.  Of the two, Sql is the most versatile.  For a comparison of the various platforms please see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-list.  If this answers your question, please mark the thread as Solved.

Super User
Super User

If  possible, use cascading Dropdown boxes to pare down the list to something manageable with Search(). 

Super User
Super User

I agree you are never going to be happy with a PowerApps app that is using a SharePoint list with 17,000 items. That type of solution is going to be better in CDS or SQL. 

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training
OPGPowerAPPS
Level: Powered On

If i were to use SQL would there be a way to have the SQL server update based on the sharepoint data. I've never used SQL so i am not familiar with how it operates.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 4,750 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: