cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

what happens to powerapps after a employee leaves the company?

hi guys, i didnt find anything here about this.

What happens to PowerApps when the user leaves the company?

I need to download the pack for everyapp or just change the permission to another user may edit also?

I ask because OneDrive is on the account, when the user leaves OneDrive will just disappear and also PowerApps will not run correctly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: what happens to powerapps after a employee leaves the company?

Bit of an interesting topic as currently there's not really a proper or easy way to manage this, although I did see mention that it is on the radar for this to be part of some later release - I would say plan ahead is your best option (speaking from experience here)

The day they are leaving use the PowerApps for Admins Powershell modules (or maker-connectors) to transfer ownership of the App to another user, you will need to do this from a global admin account. Ideally move the ownership of the App to an IT account so that you don't have the same issue when another person leaves.

Then move the OneDrive sources to a public and accesible location (maybe even have the above IT account created purely for onedrive data storage if that's how you've modelled your Apps) then edit the App and repoint the data sources to the new onedrive/shared location.

If the user had rights to, and created their own environment, you should save the App into another environment, make a note of all the users that it was shared with and their respective rights and remove the original App, as the environment won't stay after they leave (once their license is removed/re-purposed)

Going forward you should look at having the initial App containers (like templates) created by the IT account, and then give the 'creator' user modify rights to that. Same applies to data sources.

You probably can't guarantee this will happen, but being able to reduce it as much as possible will make your life easier in the long run.

Cheers,

ManCat

My loving and understanding partner gives the best advice on fixing errors: "Just type in some different things".

Don't forget to Mark as Solution and Thumbs Up those who deserve it!
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Bit of an interesting topic as currently there's not really a proper or easy way to manage this, although I did see mention that it is on the radar for this to be part of some later release - I would say plan ahead is your best option (speaking from experience here)

The day they are leaving use the PowerApps for Admins Powershell modules (or maker-connectors) to transfer ownership of the App to another user, you will need to do this from a global admin account. Ideally move the ownership of the App to an IT account so that you don't have the same issue when another person leaves.

Then move the OneDrive sources to a public and accesible location (maybe even have the above IT account created purely for onedrive data storage if that's how you've modelled your Apps) then edit the App and repoint the data sources to the new onedrive/shared location.

If the user had rights to, and created their own environment, you should save the App into another environment, make a note of all the users that it was shared with and their respective rights and remove the original App, as the environment won't stay after they leave (once their license is removed/re-purposed)

Going forward you should look at having the initial App containers (like templates) created by the IT account, and then give the 'creator' user modify rights to that. Same applies to data sources.

You probably can't guarantee this will happen, but being able to reduce it as much as possible will make your life easier in the long run.

Cheers,

ManCat

My loving and understanding partner gives the best advice on fixing errors: "Just type in some different things".

jwhitew1
Level: Powered On

what happens to powerapps after a employee leaves the company?

Hello,

The information was very interesting however I have another question.

The employee left the company without providing any necessary information to maintain this tool that he created.

How or who can we contact to have this switched to another user? without losing all data that has been entered

Seeking Assistance URGENTLY please

Thank you,

Willette

Super User
Super User

Hi @jwhitew1

Your IT admins for your tenant (anyone with a global admin account) should be able to transfer the ownership using powershell.

The powershell commands will be something like:

Import-Module Microsoft.PowerApps.Administration.PowerShell
Import-Module Microsoft.PowerApps.PowerShell
Add-PowerAppsAccount
Set-AdminPowerAppOwner -ApiVersion 2017-05-0 -AppName xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx -AppOwner xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx

(replacing xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx with the AppID and the AppOwnerID)

The data for PowerApps is not contained within the App itself, so wherever it is stored (you'd have to get someone from your IT team to investigate this as it could be SharePoint or SQL or any number of other storage mediums ) should remain intact.

If you IT team is unable to do this, then I would suggest raising a support request with Microsoft who may be able to assist,

Kind regards,

@iAm_ManCat 

jwhitew1
Level: Powered On

What if the owner left the company and this process was not able to be done? 

please help need to restore several files that were uploaded ASAP

Thank you,

jwhitew1

Super User
Super User

Hi,

I've not been in that specific situation as we leave our accounts disabled for a few months before they are deleted from AD (in case things like this or other admin 'oopsies' come up).

If they have left and their account still exists (but is disabled), then your IT admins should still be able to use the process I suggested.

However.. If they have been removed completely and the Apps are gone or the environments are gone, then you (or preferably your IT admins) will need to open a case with Microsoft using your Office365 Admin portal or your Microsoft service Partner (if your company doesn't manage its' own IT environment).

Kind Regards,

ManCat

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, August 21st at 8am PDT

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

SixthImage

Power Summit Australia 2019

August 20-23rd 2019

Users Online
Currently online: 28 members 3,852 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: