cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mrklewis
Regular Visitor

Create a form that connects with an external Web API

I am new to Power Apps and Power Pages. I am attempting to build a simple power page that will had a text box and a button on the page. The user will in put text in the text field and click the button. The action I would like to be performed on button click is to pass the enter text to an existing web service and to either redirect to a new page showing the results from the web service call (or possibly within the same page).

I am struggling to determine where to start.

I am looking at the basic form and advanced form but it is asking to be based on a dataverse table.

Would the web service call be some form of a flow trigger by the button?

I am simply looking for pointers on where to dig into documentation. I have been googling this all morning and I seem to go down rabbit holes that end up having nothing to do what i am looking for.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ragavanrajan
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mrklewis 

Yes, there are a few ways to achieve this. Some of the frequent use are on a high level 

1.  You can use dataverse connector - create/modify the record and use HTTP premium action then call your external API. 

2. On a basic / Advanced form > advanced > Custom JavaScript > you can write an ajax call to call your external API 

Blog: https://soltisweb.com/blog/detail/2021-02-01-callinganapiinpowerappsportalsusingjavascript 

3. You can build your custom PCF component if you want what you are trying to achieve. 

Official link: please click here

Hope it helps. 
------------

If you like this post, give it a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users to find it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ragavanrajan
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mrklewis 

Yes, there are a few ways to achieve this. Some of the frequent use are on a high level 

1.  You can use dataverse connector - create/modify the record and use HTTP premium action then call your external API. 

2. On a basic / Advanced form > advanced > Custom JavaScript > you can write an ajax call to call your external API 

Blog: https://soltisweb.com/blog/detail/2021-02-01-callinganapiinpowerappsportalsusingjavascript 

3. You can build your custom PCF component if you want what you are trying to achieve. 

Official link: please click here

Hope it helps. 
------------

If you like this post, give it a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users to find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Carousel Community Blog

Check out the Community Blog

Read all about the most recent blogs in the community!

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Carousel News & Announcements

What's New in the Community?

Check out the latest News & Events in the community!

Users online (3,843)