Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rzaddTDOE
Level: Powered On

Approval Flow Based on Properties

Hello,

I'm creating an approval flow for files that routes the approval to different people based on additional property fields like "Region" and "Tier." Right now, the flow starts with "When and item is created" but then immediately fails because the region field isn't set yet. The flow works when I set those columns to default to values but that's obviously not a solution either. 

How can I prevent this flow from running for a minute or two to give the user time to select the proper options from two property fields? Is there such a thing as a wait period so this flow won't start until that additional property field is completed? It's still different from when an item is modified though becuase I don't want to start this process again every time a property changes. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-lin-msft
Level 10

Re: Approval Flow Based on Properties

Hi @rzaddTDOE ,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow’s configuration?

Based on your description of your requirement, I think you can try this approach:

1. Add a delayed action below the trigger, which is set for two minutes, so that the user can have time to set other properties.
  2. Then add a Get item action and Get the attribute of the item again according to the trigger ID.
  3. Then you can add a compose to check if the properties have been added and can be used.

Annotation 2019-05-27 151712.png

This method is also applicable for trigger "when a file is created". You can have a try. If there is any problem, please contact us.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lin Tu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Hi @rzaddTDOE , there is the delay schedule which you can add although in this case it won't work. Your trigger is "When an item is created" so the item has been created already when you invoke the delay. Why can't you get the user to add the region with the other columns when they create the item?

Rob
Los Gallardos

rzaddTDOE
Level: Powered On

Hi Rob,

Thank you. The problem is the flow initiaties the second you drag a file for upload. There's no way to get the information added in time to be there for the flow. Does that make sense? Or is there a way to prevent the file from uploading until the properties are set? I should clarify that most of these items are being created on local machines and then being moved to this folder for approval.

Super User
Super User

No, there's no way that I know of to stop the file from uploading until the properties are set.

Rob
Los Gallardos

v-lin-msft
Level 10

Hi @rzaddTDOE ,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow’s configuration?

Based on your description of your requirement, I think you can try this approach:

1. Add a delayed action below the trigger, which is set for two minutes, so that the user can have time to set other properties.
  2. Then add a Get item action and Get the attribute of the item again according to the trigger ID.
  3. Then you can add a compose to check if the properties have been added and can be used.

Annotation 2019-05-27 151712.png

This method is also applicable for trigger "when a file is created". You can have a try. If there is any problem, please contact us.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lin Tu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 138 members 4,580 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: