cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PetersonBriones
Level: Powered On

Auto-sequence number field in list or document library

Hi,

I need to create a document library where we can store our controlled documents with the following additional columns like Fiscal Year, Team, Document Type and Sequence Number.

The fields except for the Sequence Number field will be manually filled up by the user however I want the Sequence Number field to be automatically filled up so the user won't have to look at the current contents of the library to determine what should be the sequence number of the file. This Sequence number cannot be based on the ID field because the number will depend on the other fields I mentioned earlier. For example, there could be many documents that has the same sequence number, 001 for example, because they are the first one from a specific combination of Fiscal Year, Team and Document Type. See example below:

I was able to automate the sequence number field using a flow that triggers when a document is created/uploaded however this won't work for a library that requires check-in/out because the flow can't edit a checked out item (at least as far as I know).

How can I implement this? Are there other means aside from Flow? PS: Workflows are currently not an option.

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Auto-sequence number field in list or document library

Hi @ PetersonBriones,

What is the specific combination rule of Fiscal Year, Team and Document Type for the “sequence number” column in sharepoint library?

I have made a test on my side, the flow could edit a checked out item in sharepoint library.

I have created a sharepoint library with an checked out item as screenshots below:

10.png

A flow to update the checked out item in sharepoint library as screenshots below:

11.png

The flow would run successfully as below:

12.png

And the checked out item would be updated as below:

13.png

Regards,
Alice Zhang

Highlighted
PetersonBriones

Hi Alice

Thanks for your reply.

Was this document checked out to you? If so, then the flow should work. However, the problem would be when the document was created and checked out by another user because the credentials used by the flow are mine (flow creator) and not his/hers.

ez1138

What's the best practice for auto-generating the next number purely from a list?

bdc604
Level 8

Store the NextNum in a separate single record list (SystemList or whatever), get this value, apply to document record, increment variable, update SystemList.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 205 members 4,215 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: