cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AdmiralDirtbag
Level: Powered On

Can Flow use multiple excel files to update one master file?

Hi,

New to Flow. Before I spent ages trying to figure this out I wanted to check if it's possible first.

Since moving everything to SharePoint, links to external sources are not supported in Excel (or so the error/info message tells me). I was wondering if Flow could do that instead?

Can I have multiple excel reports in SharePoint feed a master overview file (also in SharePoint)?  E.g. If a user goes into a project RAG report and makes a change, say Red to Amber, can that change be updated in the high level master file? The files have different layouts and fields as one is more detailed and one is high level.

If it can be done, can I get some pointers please?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Can Flow use multiple excel files to update one master file?

Hi @ AdmiralDirtbag,

Could you please share more details about what you want the flow to achieve?

Could you please explain more about the project RAG report? Is it a excel file and be saved in a sharepoint library(1)?

Where is the high level master file saved in? Is it a excel file and be saved in another sharepoint library(2)?

Do you want to update the excel file in sharepoint library(2) when the same excel file is updated in library(1)?

If you want to update the excel file in sharepoint library(2) when the same excel file is updated in library(1),please refer to screenhsot below to create the flow:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

When a file is updated in the library1, the flow would run successfully to update the excel in the library2:

Capture.PNG

Please let me know if your problem is be solved.

Regards,
Alice Zhang

AdmiralDirtbag

Hi Alice @v-yuazh-msft,

I really appreciate your help. I will test your proposed solution with a few changes, I'm not sure it will do what I need, I'll give it a go and report back! Your questions:

Could you please share more details about what you want the flow to achieve?

- There are many projects with individual RAG reports - this is a set template

- A user will open a project RAG report and update Red/Amber/Green status against fixed project measures such as; Team, Plan, Stakeholder, Milestones etc. and they'll add various comments/dates etc

- There is another file in the same document library (different folder) which shows all the projects status in an overview (25-30 projects), this is a set template too and not the same as the RAG report but contains some of the same information. Currently someone has to go through all the RAG reeports and update the overview file

- I'd like Flow to do this - take the changes made in the RAG report and update the relevant cell on the overview file

Could you please explain more about the project RAG report? Is it a excel file and be saved in a sharepoint library(1)?

As above, excel file in the same library

Where is the high level master file saved in? Is it a excel file and be saved in another sharepoint library(2)?

Also an excel file and held in a different folder in the same document library

Do you want to update the excel file in sharepoint library(2) when the same excel file is updated in library(1)?

Basically, yes. The files are laid out differently, in the past I'd just use formula or macros but I want to keep everything in the cloud

AdmiralDirtbag

I tried your solution and it failed:

flow fail.PNG

I changed the flow to try match the folder structure. There are lots of nested folders and everything is in one document library. It's how many boss wants it so I can't (easily) change it - he's not interested in best practice or metadata etc. I might be able to pull all the RAG highlight reports into a seperate document library and the master overview file into another seperate document library if that will fix the issue.

flow part1.PNG

flow part2.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 290 members 5,146 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: