cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tested1
Level: Powered On

Changing the sender email address?

Hello

I would like to change the sender email when I use the flow 'Send an email when a new item is created'

I saw when you click on send an email option there are 2 types... 'Send an Email' and Send an email (V2).

Questions

1. I liked the send an email v2 better as it let you change font colour, sizing etc, can I do all ofthis in 'Send an email'? what are the key differences between them or pros/cons? I couldnt find the 'send as' option in the V2..or set the email priority to high etc. Is this the benefits or differences to using send an email 1? (see pic)
  2. I tried using 'Send an email' then advanced options and put a random service desk email in the 'From (Send as)' box But I ran the flow and received an error saying You don’t have permissions to send emails on behalf of Service@xyz.com. Contact Service@xyz.com to check shared mailbox permissions and gain access.

What are the best solutions to this? Make the flow on the senders email address...? How can I gain permission to send on that email address? I just want the email address to be a generic one and not from the person who made the flow. If I wanted to use [send an email v2) is the best way to try to create this flow on the desired email address account..(would be tricky..) or can I obtain permission or just do all of v2 email in 'send an email'?

Alternative..Just create a new office account servicexyz@.test.com and create flow on there?

image.png

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Changing the sender email address?

@tested1 

On 1 - V2 will eventually be V"it" and, if like other areas where there are V2's, the originals will be phased out.

On 2 - Yes...you will need to have "Send on Behalf of" permissions to the shared mailbox.  Remember, anyone that initiates the flow will also need that permission.  I have not looked into this, but I believe you can set your connection credentials to a different account that has that permission as well.  In the old days we did impersonate user, but that is different now.  Again, have not tested this out - perhaps someone who has can chime in.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
8 REPLIES 8
Super User
Super User

@tested1 

On 1 - V2 will eventually be V"it" and, if like other areas where there are V2's, the originals will be phased out.

On 2 - Yes...you will need to have "Send on Behalf of" permissions to the shared mailbox.  Remember, anyone that initiates the flow will also need that permission.  I have not looked into this, but I believe you can set your connection credentials to a different account that has that permission as well.  In the old days we did impersonate user, but that is different now.  Again, have not tested this out - perhaps someone who has can chime in.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
tested1

Thanks @RandyHayes  I will look into this! Any others users experienced in this?

Super User
Super User

To make the send address a more general one use the Send an email notification action, not send an email (v2). The email will have "Microsoft PowerApps and Flow" as the sender.

Rob
Los Gallardos

tested1

Thanks @RobElliott  I will see if this is acceptable for us.

Do you know if I still wanted custom sent emails if I would have to go with the shared mail box option?

Also with the 'Send an email notification' is it possible to change the body text, colour etc? the option is not as user friendy as 'send an email v2' which lets you easily format it all. Any reasons for this?

Thanks

tested1

hi @RobElliott 

I tried the 'Send an email notification' but there were a couple of issues.

The formatting seemed terrible. All the body of text came up as one block of text/paragraph. So 4 lines of pure text. Is there no way to format this to add spaces, even colour or change the font size? 

It also said this 

'If you want to unsubscribe from these emails, please use this form.' which iwould have wanted to remove as idont want any unsubscriptions. 

I will now look into the shared mailbox option Smiley Happy

Does anyone know when or if the shared mailbox and other mailboxes will update to the 'Send an email (V2)' (See pic) format? All other types of emails - shared mailbox, send an email notification, send an email have the old email layout where it looks like you cant do formatting like change font size, colours etc? Is there coding or anything I can use to add formatting? Its a big shame send an email v2 has no 'From (Send as) Option Smiley Sad'  or 'shared mailbox' doesnt have the nice formatting

Would it be best to make a generic account e.g helptest@domain.com and create the flow on that? Then I could use the send an email v2? Or would this just lead to problems long term..

image.png

Super User
Super User

For the formatting you need to add html tags into the body of the email. The message is automatically added by Microsoft

tested1

Thanks. Formatting should not be an issue then

Do you have any experience in the 'send an email from a shared mailbox'? Would I just create the shared mailbox email / add myself to one and just paste the email address in?

Do I need to add any permissions for the email address to be the sent one. OR add any members to the shared mailbox?

Super User
Super User

@tested1 

For the Shared Mailbox, you just need to make sure that you or whoever/whatever account will execute the flow will have Send As permissions to it.  Then just set the From parameter of the function to the email address of the shared mailbox.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 319 members 4,928 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: