cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
slimmorrell
Level: Powered On

Completing Outlook task then completes planner task

I have written a flow that creates an Outlook task when a Planner task is assigned to you. It works fine but the next logical step is then to get Flow to complete the Planner task when I complete the Outlook task.

I cant see a way to do this, is there one? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slimmorrell

Re: Completing Outlook task then completes planner task

I have played around with this a bit more and got it working. 

Still cant upload pictures so will try to describe what I did.

In the "Create a Task" part I removed the 2 date expressions and instead added in a dynamic expression from Planner of "Due Date Time" (in the due date field) I left the Start date blank.

This is tested and working. No way I could have done it woth the help from  @v-xida-msft so thank you so much for your advice.

10 REPLIES 10
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @slimmorrell,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When a task is assigned to me" trigger.
  • Add a "Create a task" action, Subject field set to Title dynamic content of the trigger, Due Date field set to following formula:
formatDateTime(triggerBody()?['dueDateTime'],'yyyy-MM-dd')

Start Date field set to following formula:

formatDateTime(triggerBody()?['createdDateTime'],'yyyy-MM-dd')
  • Add a "Do Until" action, click "Edit in advanced mode", type the following formula:
@equals(body('Create_a_task')?['Status'], 'Completed')

Within "Do Until" action, add a "Get task" action, Task Id field set to Id dynamic content of "Create a task action".

• Under "Do Until" action, add a "Update a task" action, Task Id field set to Id dynamic content of the trigger, Process field set to Completed.

Image reference:18.JPG

19.JPG

Note: The "Do Until" aciton runs continuously until the Outlook task is completed.

The flow works successfully as below:20.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
slimmorrell

Hi Kris, @v-xida-msft

Thanks so much for you quick response and suggestion, I have tried you flow but am getting an error message.

The value 'formatDateTime(triggerBody()?['dueDateTime'],'yyyy-MM-dd')' of parameter 'DateTime' is invalid.

Also getting a message in the Do until reply. 

ActionConditionFailed. The execution of template action 'Do_until' is skipped: the 'runAfter' condition for action 'Create_a_task' is not satisfied. Expected status values 'Succeeded' and actual value 'Failed'.

Im probably doing something very stupid but I cant insert a screenshot. I am using safari on a mac and if I click insert/edit image I do not get a file browse box. I get a box asking for source and dimensions of image.....

Any help would be really apprciated.

slimmorrell

I have played around with this a bit more and got it working. 

Still cant upload pictures so will try to describe what I did.

In the "Create a Task" part I removed the 2 date expressions and instead added in a dynamic expression from Planner of "Due Date Time" (in the due date field) I left the Start date blank.

This is tested and working. No way I could have done it woth the help from  @v-xida-msft so thank you so much for your advice.

millerkmm
Level: Power Up

Could you share your original flow that adds an outlook task when a planner task is assigned to you?

ryannieto

Any change you would be willing to share your completed flow or post the images of your final flow?

slimmorrell

Its let me upload the images now so here you go.

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 07.45.40.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-20 at 07.45.26.png

slimmorrell

It put the images the wrong way round so the first picture should actually be the second one

Wardy_uk

Hijacking this thread a little Smiley Wink

I've tried to replicate this flow - but cant quite get it.. when I come to the final step, for Task Id, I cant seem to find the value as shown in the image: the closest I can get it Value ID

in this case, when i use that - and trugger the flow by assigning a task to myself, the flow runs, but then closes the task immediatly in Planner without for it to be marked as complete in To-Do

any clues?

marante

Good afternoon - further to Wardy_uk's query i have the same issue can you help with either of the following:

- How do i obtain the dynamic content for the ID in the update planner task?

- is there a solution or work-around to prevent the flow closing the task immediatly in Planner without waiting for it to be marked as complete in To-Do?

jcannan

This solution does not work over a time frame longer than a few minutes.

The 'do until' runs for a maximum of 60 times then continues.

>