cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nalkema
Level: Power Up

Converting Microsoft Form response to Word Doc or PDF

Hello. I'm a Microsoft 365 user. I'm seeking help in converting responses from a Microsoft Form to a Word or PDF document, where the data fields are mapped to tags. This process is currently being done from a Mail Merge (manually) from an Excel doc, and I'd like help setting up a Flow to execute the process. I've got one Flow which brings Form data into a Sharepoint List. Is there anyway from either Forms (direclty) or from the Sharepoint List that I can export the data fields into a previously mapped Word doc?  I have limited programming experience, so nothing too complex. Also, no paid services like Plumsail. 

This seems like something that should be fairly easy to do but I have already spent a lot of time on it. I have found several OLD articles referring to solutions that could be done older versions of Sharepoint, but they don't seem to match current versions.

Thanks in advance.

Nikki

10 REPLIES 10
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Converting Microsoft Form response to Word Doc or PDF

Hi @nalkema,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Further, do you want to convert the Response data into a Word doc?

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When a new response is submitted" trigger.
  • Add a "Apply to each", input parameter set to output of the trigger.
  • Within "Apply to each", add a "Get Response details" action, specify Form Id, Response Id field set to Response Id dynamic content of the trigger.

Add a "Create HTML table" action, From set to output of the trigger. Include headers set to Yes and Columns set to Custom. Within Header-Value map entry, type these Response Data dynamic contents that you want to show up in Word doc. On my side, I type three entries within it as below:7.JPG

Add a "Create file" action of OneDrive for Business connector. File Name field set to Response.doc, File Content field set to output of "Create HTML table" action.

Note: I store the Word doc in my OneDrive for Business folder.

Image reference:8.JPG

9.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:10.JPG

The created Word doc opens well as below:11.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
nalkema

Hi Kris,

Thank you for your thorough reply. Your workflow is helpful and gives me hope. I am wondering what I can do to change the formatting of the output.  Rather than a table, this document needs to be in a readable format for a layperson. I was hoping to input tags into a template document to populate fields similar to a mail merge.  This flow will be used eventually to populate job applications to be read by a hiring committee.  I would love to put it on company letterhead. For example, the Word doc would be modeled as below:

First Name:  [first name field response data]

Last Name:  [last name field response data]

Address:  [address field response data]

etc.

Any ideas on how to modify the solution you proposed?  

Thank you immensely for your assistance.

Nikki

nalkema

@v-xida-msft forgot to mention you in my reply.  See above.

greg_dvx

I'm looking for similar functionality.  Did you ever figure out a way to do this?

Super User
Super User

I believe the Plumsail Documents Connector (not free) offers this capability.  With this connector, you can create various types of documents from within Flow.  

Please note that I am not endorsing this product - just saying that it is an option.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nalkema: Have you found a solution for it? I am looking for a similar option

samanthafinnie
Level: Powered On

First off I want to say I am no pro at this and I have just been teaching myself. I was in a similar situation and needed to create a word document with the data that was inputed. Sorry if I use the wrong lingo or am not super precise-- I am not a tech person but this how I did it. The document isn't super pretty but it works for me. 

How my form is set up

This is how my form starts-When a response from Microsoft Flow is submitted then my flow runs. 

Note if your information is from Forms remember you have to make sure it is in the "apply to each" box  and you have the get response details set up. 

Screenshot_25.pngHow mine is set up but yours may be different if not from Forms

The Solution:

This solution doesn't meta-tag (hopefully thats the right word!) it but it just puts the information in a word Document.

I am assume we all know how to build the basic flow so I am skipping over the beginning part. 

1. Add an action and clicked  - then clicked Create File for OneDrive

Screenshot_21.pngAdd Action

2. Inputed Folder Path 

Screenshot_22.pngFolder Path

3.For My File Name I used the Dynamic Data 

Screenshot_23.pngUsed Dynamic Data for FileName

4. File Content I inputed some text and then added Dynamic Data

Screenshot_24.pngUsed Text and Dynamic Data for File

5. Ran my flow and it created a document in the folder path as specified above. 

The Document looks like this:

Screenshot_19.pngWhat it looks like in the document. The information with CAPS is the dynamic data-- took out since personal data

Hope that helps-- again I am not a tech person but just explaining what worked for me! 

Thanks and have a great day! 

Samantha 

mhills91
Level: Powered On

@nalkema- try adding .doc in the 'File Name' on your create file operation

Super User
Super User

Hi!

Please read this article. It describes how to generate DOCX from Microsoft Forms submission and then convert it to PDF.

lauren_jarosek

You figure out how to get your formatting you were looking for without paying for ANOTHER connection?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 74 members 3,801 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: