cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
KShankle
Level: Powered On

Custom metadata not populated.

I created a document library called White Paper Approval.  I created additional columns, Author (Person or Group), Approving Manager (Person or Group), Products (Lookup), and Product Modules (Lookup).  The end user will upload a file to the library, update the four fields and check the document in.  This triggers a flow to have the document approved.  In my Flow I use When a file is created (properties only) trigger.  Then delay for 90 seconds to let the user update the metadata and check the document in.  Then I use Get file metadata,  followed by  sending an e-mail.  When I try to use the Approving Manager in the Subject line the variable is not populated.  I found one solution on line where MarionS had the same problem (

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Retrieving-values-in-custom-column-of-document-li...) and the problem was solved by deleting the library and recreating it.  This did not work for me.  I also found Michelangelo had a similiar issue (

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Retrieving-values-in-custom-column-of-document-li...) but my data does not contain special characters.  One other post suggested using the When a file is created or modified (Properties only) trigger.  I built a second flow and it worked but this creates an additional step.  What I would like to do is get my first Flow working.  Here is my first flow.

Post21.jpgPost22.jpgPost23.jpgFocused on Subject fieldPost24.jpgFocused on Subject fieldPost25.jpgFocused in e-mail body

1) I would have expected to see the custom fields in the Get Metadata but they are not there.  However, the variables are in the trigger.  It does not surprise me they are not populated in the trigger since the flow starts on upload and the user has not had time to update them.  How do I get the variables with data in the four custom fields?

2) How do I get the custom field variables in the body of the e-mail.

Thanks

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Re: Custom metadata not populated.

Hi @KShankle ,

According to your description, you want to get the Custom columns values in the SharePoint library.

I suggest you use the ‘Get file properties’ action instead of ‘Get file metadata ’ action. 

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

7.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @KShankle ,

According to your description, you want to get the Custom columns values in the SharePoint library.

I suggest you use the ‘Get file properties’ action instead of ‘Get file metadata ’ action. 

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

7.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

KShankle
Level: Powered On

Thank you Zhongys, that took care of getting the variables in the subject line of the e-mail.  One thing I had not noticed before was the "See More" link to get to the variables.

Post26.jpg

Again Thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 109 members 4,673 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: