cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abecerra
Level: Powered On

Flow - sending emails with a service account

Good Morning Guys

I have tried to create a flow that powerapps uses when there is a need to send an email. This email will be from a service account informing that the users from the app made a certain action.

I have tried Sendgrid. Sendgrid always asks the API key when I use the app. This should be transparent to the user (I don't know if there is a turn around).

When I want to use the outlook I can't send an email on behalf of the service account. It must be a user who logged in.

What do I need to set up so the action is configured with the settings to send an email with a configuration transparent to the user and the email is sent on behalf of a service account?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Microsoft Employee

Re: Flow - sending emails with a service account

Hi @abecerra,

It sounds like the recently released Shared Mailbox feature for Outlook might be what you are looking for. There are two new operations:

"When a new email arrives in a shared mailbox" (Trigger)

Capture1.PNG

"Send an email from a shared mailbox" (Action)

Capture2.PNG

It sounds like you want "Send an email from a shared mailbox". If you set the "Mailbox Address" to the service account email address (Example: help@contoso.com), Flow will send an email from help@contoso.com (if you have permission to send from help@contoso.com).

Thanks,

Shubham

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi Abecerra,

How is your flow created? What’s the trigger?

I assume that you are adding a flow to an app and then share the app with your colleagues, am I right?

Before sharing the app, you should consider the types of resources the app relies on. Some of these resources are shared automatically when you share the app. Other resources require you or the people with whom you share the app to take extra steps so that the app works as you expect. If you share an app that includes a flow, users who run the app will be prompted to confirm or update any connections on which the flow relies.

Please check this documentation for more details:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/share-app-resources/

“When I want to use the outlook I can't send an email on behalf of the service account”, what do you mean by “Service account”? Is it an Email Address?

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
abecerra

Hi.

The service account is an email account (example: noreply@www.com) who sends a notification about an event is triggered in a PowerApps app.

In the actions that flow provide you can send emails with outlook, sendgrid.. etc.

When I trigger an event and an action is set in flow. I can't define a specific email account to send an email. If the action is with outlook it must be the connections account who sends the email not another account.

If I set up sendgrid in the flow to send an email the user must always provide API key. This does not make sense to me given that this should be transparent to the user. There must be a way to set the API key and the user who uses the flow shouldn't provide this( like a sql connection).

Thank you for your reply and looking forward for your insights
Microsoft Employee

Hi @abecerra,

It sounds like the recently released Shared Mailbox feature for Outlook might be what you are looking for. There are two new operations:

"When a new email arrives in a shared mailbox" (Trigger)

Capture1.PNG

"Send an email from a shared mailbox" (Action)

Capture2.PNG

It sounds like you want "Send an email from a shared mailbox". If you set the "Mailbox Address" to the service account email address (Example: help@contoso.com), Flow will send an email from help@contoso.com (if you have permission to send from help@contoso.com).

Thanks,

Shubham

abecerra

Hi thank you for the answer.

I was missing the following: I had to create add a connection on behalf of the account who was responsible for sending emails. In this case, I had to select the service account, sign in with the right credentials and it was ready to go.

VeriownIT

This solution worked well. I created a shared mailbox and added all employees as members. It would be great if you added a "Create an event for a shared mailbox calendar" action, , a "Update an event  for a shared mailbox calendar" action, and a "When a new evet is created for a shared mailbox calendar" trigger. Then I could have a way to cleanly implement a Company Travel  of Vacation Request calendar with email trail of approvals/rejects. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Flow Online Conference

Join us for a FULL day of FREE Microsoft Flow Sessions from some of the best minds in the industry!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 189 members 5,418 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: