cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abd3127
Level 8

Formatting Date And time in MS Flow

Hello ,

I am using flow to read my events and send me mail for upcoming events in my calendar.

Here i am getting the date correctly.

But when it comes to Time ,It does not show me the local time.

I want to display the time in my local time .

How can i format the datetime so that i can get time ????

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Glenda
Level: Powered On

Re: Formatting Date And time in MS Flow

Hi @abd3127,

You can indeed use the convertTimeZone function. The function works as follows: convertTimeZone(timestamp:string, sourceTimeZone:string,destinationTimeZone:string, format?:string).

I've just tested the below function:

convertTimeZone(utcnow(),'UTC','W. Europe Standard Time','dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm')

utcnow() was in this case "2017-11-24T13:15:44.4817469Z". The formatted date in my e-mail is as follows: "24/11/2017 14:15".

Here you can find a list of time zones: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg154758.aspx.
If you want to format your string different you can use the following as a reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/base-types/standard-date-and-time-format-strings.

Good luck!

Super User
Super User

Hey @ShawnKeeneTF

You need to go to the expressions tab and then under the date and time functions you get the function convertTimeZone

Expressionstab.PNGWhen you found the function you can fill it in with dynamic content or just type whatever you want in it.

convertTimeZone.PNG

When you are finished with filling in your expression you should have something like this

convertTimeZonefinish.PNG

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

8 REPLIES 8
Super User
Super User

Hi!

Microsoft Flow team recently releasen a bunch of Date related action blocks, one of them is called "convert time zone". I haven't tested it myself yet, but it sounds promising.

You will find more info here:

https://flow.microsoft.com/es-es/blog/nested-apply-to-each/

Hope this helps

If anybody solved your question, remember to mark its post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted
Glenda

Hi @abd3127,

You can indeed use the convertTimeZone function. The function works as follows: convertTimeZone(timestamp:string, sourceTimeZone:string,destinationTimeZone:string, format?:string).

I've just tested the below function:

convertTimeZone(utcnow(),'UTC','W. Europe Standard Time','dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm')

utcnow() was in this case "2017-11-24T13:15:44.4817469Z". The formatted date in my e-mail is as follows: "24/11/2017 14:15".

Here you can find a list of time zones: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg154758.aspx.
If you want to format your string different you can use the following as a reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/base-types/standard-date-and-time-format-strings.

Good luck!

kkarmi

Thank you for advise, it worked like a charm :-) Can you please let me know how I can add AM/PM to the formated value. None of the combinations worked for me - 'yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss a', 'yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss AM/PM'. All throwing "he datetime string must match ISO 8601 format" error

Thank you,

Kirill

abd3127
Level 8

Hello @kkarmi

Try 'yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm tt'

Here "tt" gives AM / PM .

kkarmi

thank you very much, it worked like a charm

ShawnKeeneTF

Where do I enter this code? Can I use it directly inline in the Flow Editor's "Start an Approval" action?

My problem is that I start a flow when a user adds an item to a SharePoint list. The SharePoint site regional settings/time zone is set to Central Time, but the email notice about the approval (from the Flow) uses a different time format.  Here's an example:

1.pngI tried adding the Convert Timezone action block just before the "Start Approval" block, but how do I reference the converted time zone in the Approval block?  Or does anything need to change and i just keep the approval block as-is?

2.png
Or, should I remove the Convert Timezone block, and just wrap the begindate/enddate parts of the Approval Details in the function like this?

3.jpg

Super User
Super User

Hey @ShawnKeeneTF

You need to go to the expressions tab and then under the date and time functions you get the function convertTimeZone

Expressionstab.PNGWhen you found the function you can fill it in with dynamic content or just type whatever you want in it.

convertTimeZone.PNG

When you are finished with filling in your expression you should have something like this

convertTimeZonefinish.PNG

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

ShawnKeeneTF

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 4,262 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: