cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nhalvorson
Level: Powered On

Get ID from 'Copy File' Step

I'm building a Flow that will create and update a file in my library when a list item is modified.

I can successfully set up this flow to create a document with all of the metadata that doesn't follow the library template. In this process I use the 'create file' and 'update file properties' steps.

I can also successfully set up this flow to create a document that is formatted to the template and named correctly, but has no metadata. In this process I've placed a template in my library and am using the 'copy file' to create a copy that is named based on the list item that is being updated.

Right now I'm trying to utilize the second process (copy file) and add in the 'update file properties' step. However, after the 'create file' step, I'm given dynamic content choices with an item id of the new file. After the 'copy file' step, the only dynamic content that populates is the file size.

I feel like I'm SO close to figuring this out, I just can't get there.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Get ID from 'Copy File' Step

Hi @ nhalvorson,

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow?

The “item id” dynamic content of the “Copy file” action of sharepoint connector is not supported in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Is your document without metadata?

If your document without metadata, maybe you couldn’t use the “copy file” action to achieve your needs.

If your document have metadata,I have made a test on my side, If you want use the “item id” of a copy file, you could add a “Get file metadata” action under the “copy file” action, then you could use the “item id” dynamic content of the “Get file metadata” action to update the file properties.

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ nhalvorson,

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow?

The “item id” dynamic content of the “Copy file” action of sharepoint connector is not supported in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Is your document without metadata?

If your document without metadata, maybe you couldn’t use the “copy file” action to achieve your needs.

If your document have metadata,I have made a test on my side, If you want use the “item id” of a copy file, you could add a “Get file metadata” action under the “copy file” action, then you could use the “item id” dynamic content of the “Get file metadata” action to update the file properties.

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

nhalvorson
Level: Powered On

Thank you. I figured this out last week, but didn't update. I ended up using the 'Get file metadata using path' to grab the item id needed for the 'Update file properties' step.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 391 members 4,127 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: