cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
photonacl
Level: Powered On

How does Flow plans work? What are the 'users' mentioned in the plan 1/2.

As the expiration of our free trial of the Flow draws near, we are seeking to move forward with the purchase of a plan. However, I did extensive research but I’m still having some major confusion over what does it mean for the Plan 2 - $15 per user/mo. 15,000 runs means. I came up with an imaginary scenario hopefully someone could help us with some clarification.

Example Scenario:

Let’s say we are a 100 people company and are all O365 tenants.

John Doe and Jane Roe are the two web developers in charge of creating flows to facilitate with the workflows. The rest of the tenants do not usually create flows.

We are looking at Flow Plan 2, as it says on the pricing page: $15 per user/mo. 15,000 runs.

Questions…

Question 1: Who are the "user" here? Are they all 100 tenants who enjoy the flow that are built and simply interact with them? Or are they just Jone Doe and Jane Roe? who actually are the owners of these flows which gets triggered by other people?

Quesiton 2: I would assume the user means whoever creates the flows, not the other tenants who simply triggers the flow by their actions (adding an item to SharePoint for example). If that is the case. Once the plan is purchased, do we need to manually set the Plan 2 license to Jone Doe and Jane Roe? From the O365 admin center?

Question 3: Is the "15,000 Runs" assigned to John Doe and Jane Roe respectively? Could they be shared among two of them? If they can be shared, that is a total of 30,000 runs for the month. If John's Flows had 29,999 runs, does that mean Jane gets 1 run left for the month?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: How does Flow plans work? What are the 'users' mentioned in the plan 1/2.

If you connect to an on-premises SharePoint server through the on-premises gateway then all the users will need to have P1 licenses since the on-premises gateway is a premium feature. As I mentioned this is a grey area.  The gateway definately needs a P1 or P2 license, but whether all users or just hte Flow maker need a license isn't entirely clear.  Your only real solution is to raise that scenario with whoever you buty your licenses from and get their opinon in writing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

@photonacl 

Question 1: Licensed users are users who create Flows and trigger flows. 

If a flow is triggered by item added in a list, it would still work if the person triggering it is a user who does not have the license

Question 2: Yes u need to define who are the users license for Plan 2

Plan 2 has many other priveleges, like access to premium actions, more throttling limits eytc

Question 3: it is a shared pool for all licensed Flow users

One user can use all the 30k

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Super User
Super User

1) This is a bit of a grey area, but in general although the Flow runs under the security context of the person who made the Flow all the users who use the Flow need to be licensed.  Having said that, unless the Flow uses a Premium connector or a feature like CDS, the O365 included license that those users have will be sufficient.

2) As I said in #1 this is a bit of a grey area.  Some people will tell you that only the original maker needs a license.  My understanding from talking to Microsoft is that any user who uses the Flow needs to be licensed.  But they don't need P2 licenses unless you are using premium features. In any case licenses need to be assigned to specific users.  Owning them isn't enough.

3) The number of runs available per license per month are agregated into a quota for all the users in the tenant.  So if you have 98 O365 licenses and 2 P2 licenses then you will be able to run 226,000 total runs each month spread across all the licensed users in your environment.

photonacl
Level: Powered On

Thank you 

Super User
Super User

If you connect to an on-premises SharePoint server through the on-premises gateway then all the users will need to have P1 licenses since the on-premises gateway is a premium feature. As I mentioned this is a grey area.  The gateway definately needs a P1 or P2 license, but whether all users or just hte Flow maker need a license isn't entirely clear.  Your only real solution is to raise that scenario with whoever you buty your licenses from and get their opinon in writing.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 334 members 5,267 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: