cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brentless
Level 8

I need to bypass an Approval in a process

Here is the scenario.  I am using Flow Approvals.  There is a dynamic workflow that automatically selects one or two or three managers.  In this case it is a single approval action (parallel) with all managers included in on the list.

We have an admin that has always done (approve on behalf of) in times where managers were unavailable to do approval actions, or in cases of emergency escalations.

How would you go about giving the admin permission to approve on behalf of a manager that is out of town (example, on a cruise with no connectivity for a week).

I need to get past the approval process and have the flow continue, but I dont see a way until literally that manager gets back in town and clicks the approve button.  Again, this is up to three or four parallel approvals that need to occur, and it would be potentially 1 person holding up the process.

Does anyone have any workarounds for this type of issue?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Jambo1
Level: Powered On

Re: I need to bypass an Approval in a process

I am having the same problem and have come up with a few options, none of which entirely solve it for me - but thought i'd share:

1. have a timeout and if timed out then you make a separate approval to the admin

2. Always send to admin and manager (anyone can approve) and you have a manual process to ask the admin to approve the requests

3. Store the approval input (e.g. approver mail) in a list then when needed, you could fail the flow, change the data (maybe via an app) and then re-run the approval so the approval picks up the new name from the list. 

any others gratefully received

Jambo

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: I need to bypass an Approval in a process

Hi @Brentless ,

It is a default behavior that flow won’t continue until the approvers give out a response.

I agree with what @Jambo1 was saying. Please consider configuring Time out duration of the Start an approval action which till timeout the action and move on to the following actions.

In the Settings dialog, set a duration for the action using the ISO 8601 format. For 12 hours, use PT12H, 1 day, use PT1D, 1 week, use PT7D, 1 month, use P1M.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

Please feel free post back if you need more help.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 227 members 4,650 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: