cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zyraglee
Level: Powered On

Infinite loop when an item is updated

Hello,

I have a simple flow that checks if the billing id is empty or not after the form has been modified.

IF Empty - no action is taken

IF NOT - email is sent - update item

The item is being updated, however the email is being sent infinitely. I tried to use the Terminate control but it didnt help.

I need assistance on how to approach this please

Thanks

Capture.JPGewq.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Infinite loop when an item is updated

Hi @zyraglee,

This is because the "update item" action in the flow would update the item, and as soon as the item is updated, the flow would be triggered again.

Please take a try to add a Yes/No type column "UpdateByFlow" in the sharepoint list.and set the defaults value of the "UpdateByFlow" to "No". Also please make sure when an item is modified manually in the sharepoint list,the "UpdateByFlow" column is setted to "No"

Then you could add a condition under the trigger to check if the "UpdateByFlow" column is equal to "true",if the UpdateByFlow" column is equal to "False",inside the If no branch of the condition,add a Condition to check if the billing id is empty or not.

And please make sure the "UpdateByFlow" column in the "Update item" action in the flow would be set to "Yes".

Best regards,

Alice

zyraglee

Hi @v-yuazh-msft

I tried this as a solution and I'm still getting infinite emails

First, I created an "UpdateByFlow" column on my SharePoint list with a yes/no choice and used no as default.

Here's the flow:

t1.JPGt2.JPGtrigger.JPG

What am I doing wrong here? Can you simulate this problem and show me a screenshot?

Thanks

Highlighted
Brentless
Level 8

This to me is a major gap that needs to be closed by Flow itself.

There needs to be some kind of way to update an item WITHOUT triggering a subsequent flow.  SharePoint Designer could do it.  Other products can do it.  Using "elevated" rights would do it.  

I have Flow after Flow that use like 6 runs when it only technically needs to do 1.  Then the users have to come up with crazy if and terminate statements to try and keep this from happening.  Where Flow is becoming a Pay-model, this is pretty ridiculous, and I'd expect the Flow limits to ultimately increase for the amount of unintended Flows that are triggered.

Ideally, I'm thinking some kind of trigger option (like where the new View option is) that allows you to set criteria by which the Flow should NOT trigger (e.g. if updated by this user, if this field is set, etc), and hence not count against your quota.

normmsnpoweruse

Any solution about this infinite loop?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fourthImage

Australia Summit

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 25 members 4,524 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: