Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jimbo1
Level: Powered On

Manipulating strings to remove common errors

**** Sorry should have posted to Flow board *****

Hi,

I have an input that collects information entered by employees, however there are some common re-occurring errors that keep occurring that despite repeated instructions don’t seem to sink in. So in order to save time at a later date I though I would try and make the changes in flow. The main ones are:

1. Adding salutations to names for example Mr Smith being entered. I would prefer to just have the surname and loose the salutation, it makes sorting alphabetically a lot easier.

2. The second is with UK postcodes and not entering a space between the two sections I.e AA12BB or AA123BB.( not that they are of variant lengths but always have a space before the last three characters.

Also if there was a way to properly capitalise the strings that would help with my OCD lol, i.e Proper case for example 1 and all upper for the 2nd.

I have been able to add these strings as they currently are as variables before adding to a sharepoint list. I presume I need to use a compose action with the relevant expressions but cannot seem to get it to work.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Brentless
Level 8

Re: Manipulating strings to remove common errors

I'd probably do a few Replaces to eliminate the Mr. and Mrs, though you'll need to account for the different variations (such as Mr. versus Mr no period)

replace(YOURFIELD,'Mr','')

You can cascade this like replace(replace(YOURFIELD,'Mr',''),'Mrs','') and so on

You can use length(MYFIELD) to get the length of the variable length strings

Then do a calculation to get length minus 3, then use substring()

First part would look like: substring(MYFIELD,0,LENGTH-3)
Second part would look like substring(MYFIELD,LENGTH-3,LENGTH)
Then you can add them together in a variable or compose with the space.
I'd probably start by removing all spaces in the fiend before doing that algorithm, to account for whether they did actually add the space.

toUpper() will convert everything to upper case
Not sure what would conver to Proper case off the top of my head, but you could do some more substrings, combined with a toUpper on the first character.

Jimbo1
Level: Powered On

Re: Manipulating strings to remove common errors

@BrentlessThanks for your help so far, do you know how to remove all spaces from the string, I've tried " replace(string," ","") but just says invalid expression.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 337 members 1,766 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: