cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmangiante
Level 8

Markdown rendering not working in some approval mails

Hello,

I'm trying to create a table in markdwon in the approval mail, but have different rendering experience. If you look at the following screenshot you can see that the markdown is not rendered in the mail (in Outlook Web App):

markdown approval 1.png

If I choose to see the original message instead, it is working well:

markdown approval 2.png

I've seen the same behaviour if I read the message in Outlook 2016 (both incorrect and correct markdown rendering), while, for example, in Outlook 2007, I see the correct rendering.

Any other are experiencing the same?

--

Regards

19 REPLIES 19
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Markdown rendering not working in some approval mails

Hi @mmangiante,

I did a test on my side and confirmed that the form in Outlook Web App is not displayed properly, but in Outlook 2016, it is the correct rendering.

50.PNG

Outlook 2016:

49.PNG

Could you share how you used Markdown in Approval details?

please check and see if the following link would help:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/approvals-markdown-support

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Administrator
Administrator

Hello, @mmangiante!

Thank you for posting on the Flow Community Forum! Have you had an opportunity to apply @v-bacao-msft‘s recommendation to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Flow Community Manager
mmangiante
Level 8

Hello,

I attach the screenshot of the mail where I can't see the markdown correctly rendered.

Markdown_office_2016.png  

| | |
|------|--------|
| ID: | ID value |
| Commessa: | Commessa value |
| Descrizione sintetica: | Title value |
| Ammontare | Ammontare value |

I attacch a screenshot of the body of Approvals connector:

Markdown approval.png 

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

chriso97
Level: Powered On

I am seeing the same

in outlook the message has no formatting, howver the "original message" looks fine

mlzag

Having the same issue with our Approval emails. We aren't using Markdown tables, just basic Markdown header, emphasis, and spacing syntax. It only shows up correctly after clicking "Show original message". 

This also is only an issue for some users. Unable to find a consistent setting/criteria that explains why this is happening for some users.

bu11frogg

We're seeing the same thing here, and with an Approval that's been rendering fine the last several weeks.  No tables, just emphasis and spacing markdown.

Jbid

I'm seeing the same as otheres, Outlook online renders Markdown in actionable message correctly , Outlook desktop does not render markdown in actionable message correctly but Original message renders markdown correctly . 

Confusing to users and delaying a rollout for me . 

Mike2500
Level 8

Just checking if there is an update to this, or if anyone knows of an official page where MS is reporting on the status of this bug?

I am also experiencing the same issues when trying to apply markdown to approval emails. Looking forward to hearing when this is resolved so I can continue with my progress. 

I had posted my original findings under this post https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/Adding-HTML-to-Microsoft-Flow-Email/m-p/...

MRC1234

Any updates?

mmangiante
Level 8

@MRC1234no updates, but it seems we are not alone:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/I-Found-A-Bug/Markdown-Table-from-Flow-Approval-Email-not-render...

The strange thing is that some markdown commands work, like ** ** for bold text; it also interesting that 2 spaces for breaking the line is working but only in particular cases.

I also noticed in the last iteration of my trial that if I insert the double || to start a table, it is rendered as a bullet.

The bug is however related to Outlook 2016, because I have no issue in Outlook 2007 neither in OWA.

MRC1234

@mmangianteSo my users are supposed to get a jumbled mess?  My boss was testing and she's like I don't know what I am approving...lol ... I said the information is there, but it's one big long line.  Most of our employees access Outlook desktop version, so this is big problem.

swhitmore

I'm also experiencing issues with markdown in Outlook 2016

sad times Smiley Sad there is no fix for this or for HTML in approval emails - if we could get one option working then that would be a great step forward 

MRC1234

How can I promote Flow as something great!  I've been telling people they can approve via email, that's if they can decipher what it says.  Now I have to tell them they need to log into O365 via a browser?  The markdown rendering works a little better, but it's still not quite right.  

Not sure what to do Smiley Mad

MRC1234

Anyone on the Flow team looking into this? JonJLevesque Jon Levesque  

I sent him a message directly from twitter.  If he responds I'll post the solution if there is one.

asdeev

Any updates on this yet????

Charlon_

Same issue here, microsoft please help.

Highlighted
tapan_sam

Any update on Markdown rendering issue in Outlook 365? 

For me only few of the Markdown syntaxes are rendering correctly in Outlook 365 but all of them are rendering properly  in Outlook web app.

Heading(with out the  bottom line), line breaks, hyperlinks, bold, italics are rendering correctly in both of the Outlook apps. But table and highlighted text(>) is not rendering correctly in Outlook 365.

But following Microsoft doc suggest all of them are supposed to render correctly in both of the Outlook apps.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/approvals-markdown-support

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 147 members 3,121 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: