cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickstewart
Level: Powered On

Need help with setting a list value based on another value in same list

I have a list where the user selects a Discipline from a dropdown. I want the AssignedTo field to populate with a person based on the selected Discipline. There are 6 disciplines and 3 people that would be assigned:

Disc1=Person1

Disc2 or Disc3=Person2

Disc 4,5 or 6=Person 3

After I update the list with the correct AssignedTo value, I want to then reference that AssignedTo value in an email. However, using Dynamic Content I am given several options for AssignedTo Display name: from when the item was first created, from Update Item, Update Item 2, Update Item 3, etc (I've tried both Condition and Switch to determine the value of AssignedTo, both of which gave me numerous Update Item steps). In testing my email, the AssignedTo value comes back blank (unless it happened to be the same one used when I selected the Dynamic Content). Isn't there a way to grab the value of AssignedTo without having to choose which Update Item path was the one the flow used to set the value? Am I approching this in the wrong way? This seems like a basic thing for Flow, but I'm new to it and am stuck.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Need help with setting a list value based on another value in same list

Hi Rick,

I feel your pain.

You have gotten yourself into a situation that is very easy to get into. But hard to get out of.

When bulmdjng Flows I try to reduce as much complexity as possible. Keep it simple.

What’s the most simple answer to your issue? Well, to just use one Update Action. But, how can you do this when you have multiple possible branches that might be followed?

What I recommend is to perform all your branch logic as you currently do, but rather than duplicating your Update actions, store some variable values. Then, when you drop out of your conditional branches, perform the Update action.

That way, when you get further down in the Flow you only need to check the one Update action, or even just your variables.

Regards,

- Mark
2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hi Rick,

I feel your pain.

You have gotten yourself into a situation that is very easy to get into. But hard to get out of.

When bulmdjng Flows I try to reduce as much complexity as possible. Keep it simple.

What’s the most simple answer to your issue? Well, to just use one Update Action. But, how can you do this when you have multiple possible branches that might be followed?

What I recommend is to perform all your branch logic as you currently do, but rather than duplicating your Update actions, store some variable values. Then, when you drop out of your conditional branches, perform the Update action.

That way, when you get further down in the Flow you only need to check the one Update action, or even just your variables.

Regards,

- Mark
Highlighted
rickstewart
Level: Powered On

That's exactly what I needed, not sure why I didn't even think about variables. Works as intended, thank you for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fourthImage

Australia Summit

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 278 members 4,287 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: