cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arnie
Level: Powered On

Outlook connectors: Exported email timezone

First of all a huge thanks to the Flow team for releasing the Outlook connectors - it's a feature that a lot of our clients are going to love!

We have started working with email connector to upload a copy of an email to SharePoint when it has been flagged, and set the requisite metadata i.e. To, From, Subject, Received Time etc.

The problem we have come across is the "Time Received" in the exported email is showing UTC.    When we view the original email from Outlook it displays the time using our current timezone.

Both in SharePoint and on our PCs we have the timezone set to AEST +10 Brisbane in our regional settings, however when viewing the exported email in SharePoint it appears to be displayed in UTC.

Any ideas on how to get the exported email to show the time based on the current timezone?

Example below.

Original Email Time Received: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:59 PM
Exported Email Time Received: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:59 AM

Greenshot 2018-02-13 17.10.40.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Outlook connectors: Exported email timezone

Hi @arnie

By default, all dates and times in Flow are in UTC. You will have to convert the date and time to your time zone with the "Date Time - Convert time zone" action. Below you can find a link where the Flow team discusses how to work with dates and times in Flow. You can also find a screenshot of a test I was just doing with your time zome. Just make sure to add your Email Date and Time in the Base time field.

Working with Dates and Times inside of your flows:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/working-with-dates-and-times/

DateTime.JPG

Regards,

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

12 REPLIES 12
Super User
Super User

Hi @arnie

By default, all dates and times in Flow are in UTC. You will have to convert the date and time to your time zone with the "Date Time - Convert time zone" action. Below you can find a link where the Flow team discusses how to work with dates and times in Flow. You can also find a screenshot of a test I was just doing with your time zome. Just make sure to add your Email Date and Time in the Base time field.

Working with Dates and Times inside of your flows:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/working-with-dates-and-times/

DateTime.JPG

Regards,

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Proud to be a Flownaut!

arnie

Thanks for your reply Fausto.  Great to know about the timezone action, will definitely have to use that one in the future!

We ended to the bottom of our problem, which turned out to be a SharePoint issue and not Flow at all. 

As you said exporting the email in UTC.  The problem was in the email preview in SharePoint Online.  It was displaying the date in UTC and not using the site collection or user specific timezone settings.

Thanks again for your help!

josephpoon0506

Hi i have the same issues. when i exported the email and store at SPO. The .msg message preview and show the time is UTC. i would like to know the coverted time zone task is doing before "Export email" Task or after it. Thanks

Super User
Super User

Hi @josephpoon0506

Do you mind posting some screenshots of the flow you have so I can take a look?

Thanks.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

josephpoon0506

Hi 

josephpoon0506

anyone can help ?
Super User
Super User

Hi @josephpoon0506

Looking at your screenshot, you're only using the output from the Convert Time Zone in your .msg file you're creating. It's not manipulating the date and time inside the email message you are exporting? Are you trying to do the latter?

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

josephpoon0506

hi Faustocapellanj, 

i would like when the email is arrived to specific mailbox and then exported a copy of email and store on SPO document library. 

So what is the correct workflow to do it ? is it export the email and then used "convert time zone" flow ?

Super User
Super User

Hi @josephpoon0506

From your screenshot, it looks like you have the correct steps to export the email message and then save it in an SPO document library. A quick breakdown on the Convert Time Zone step: what it's doing is getting the value of the Received Time and then converting it from UTC to your local date and time in Beijing using the format yyyyMMdd-HH:mm:ss. If you need to extract the email message to save it to the SPO library, you don't need the Convert Time Zone step in your flow, unless you want to name the email message with the date and time you are getting from the Convert Time Zone output. If I misunderstood your previous message, please let me know so I can assist you better.

Regards,

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted
josephpoon0506

hi Faustocapellanj, 

you're correct. i would like to rename the exported email's file name with my local time. Also, it seems there are something wrong the email preivous in SPO with UTC not my local time. by the way, Arnie told me that if we download the exported time and open it on local PC. it will show the correct local time instead of UTC. anyway, thank you for your help.

Regards

Joseph

josephpoon0506

repeated post

josephpoon0506

repeated post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 122 members 4,582 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: