Level 8
Accepted Solution

Twitter users mentions

I wonder if it is possible to run a flow that mention users into a tweet. 

try to put a @ in front of the user id filed but it gives me an error

ideas?

thanks in advance

J

Accepted Solutions
Microsoft Employee

Re: Twitter users mentions

That's correct.  We explicitly filter out the use of @ mentions when posting to Twitter.  We do this to comply with Twitter's anti-spam rules.  Sorry about that.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Community Support Team

Hi Jlocatell,

Currently, it seems that it is not possible to run a flow that mention users using “@” in front of the “User ID” or “Tweeted by”. I created a flow to post a tweet when a new tweet is posted. In the “Post a tweet” action, I selected “Tweeted by” filed and added “@” in front of the field. However, when the flow ran successfully, only a string of “Tweeted by” was posted to Twitter. I also tried with “User ID”, only the number of the “User ID” was posted to Twitter.

For this issue, I would suggest you submit an idea at “Flow Ideas”. The link of the “Flow Ideas” is:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Microsoft Employee

That's correct.  We explicitly filter out the use of @ mentions when posting to Twitter.  We do this to comply with Twitter's anti-spam rules.  Sorry about that.

Level: Power Up

I have had the same issue and I see that it's just not allowed per the thread below. Could we re-frame this into a different approach? Currently I use a twitter approval process which has me re-tweet the same thing that the original person tweeted (details available at http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/cfuller/archive/2016/07/01/applying-automation-and-approvals-to-twi...). Could we instead be given a different type of automation which does a real re-tweeet versus creating a tweet with the same text? This would be preferable as it would credit the original author correctly and our interaction would count towards the original poster's re-tweet numbers. 

Agree 100% that a true RETWEET options would be ideal. Since there wasn't a true retweet, I was trying to do RT:@Username, but ended up doing the RT:UserName without the @.

@SameerChI understand that you are saying that you are removing the usernames to "comply with Twitter's anti-spam rules." I also noticed that IFTTT has the same implementation as Flow. However, there are scheduled tweet systems like HootSuite and FutureTweet that allow usernames to be mentioned. Has this been brought up to Twitter? I have built an awesome scheduled tweet system with SharePoint, PowerApps and Flow but this limitation may make me dismantle it. Thoughts?