Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NielsL
Level: Powered On

Using a Service Principal for CDS without having to re-create CDS flow actions

Hi,

We have created a Service Principal to be used in for automated background flows when using the CDS connector in Flow as described by David Yack in his blog. Everything is working fine so far. 

However, when I change the connection of the CDS actions from my user to the new Service Principal - it clears all the dynamics contents and expressions I have added to the action. In other words - I would have to re-build all the CDS actions of my existing flows to change the connection from my user to the Service Principal. 

Does anyone know any workaround for this? 

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Re: Using a Service Principal for CDS without having to re-create CDS flow actions

Have you tried exporting the Flow as a template, and then adding it back from the template - and during the import process choosing the SPN?

If you could provide an expanded screenshot of your Flow and steps, and of any detailed error messages you're receiving we could likely better assist you.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

v-lin-msft
Level 10

Re: Using a Service Principal for CDS without having to re-create CDS flow actions

Hi @NielsL,

Is this user a member of your organization? If it is not a member, the dynamic content you configured before may disappear. I have tested the new connection created by members within the organization, and the result is that the dynamic content does not disappear.

You can have a try that adding specified users to your organization.

If there is any problem, please contact us.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lin Tu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

NielsL

@Brad_Groux ,

I tried to export the flow and import it again. However, the Service Principal is connected to an Application User in Dynamics which don't have a password  - so I'm not sure how to get on from there. 

@v-lin-msft,

I'm checking if there are some settings related to the Application User that might be causing this issue.  

Helpful
Level 8

Hi @NielsL,

I'm curious to hear if you resolved this.

Also, do any of your Flows send emails?  If so, how are you handling that when running as a Service Principal?

NielsL

@Helpful,

I haven't resolved this yet. We're pretty close to go-live, so don't have the time to investigate the issue - even though it would be preferable to be using the Service Principal from the start. 

I have asked our IT dept. to changes some settings related to the user. But until now, nothing seems to change. I still have to re-create all the flow actions when I change from my user to the Service Principal. 

Actually, I have Flows that send emails. I haven't even thought about that. 

Helpful
Level 8

Thanks for the update.

I'm going down the road of creating an "App Admin" as opposed to a "Global Admin" account.  App Admin would have admin rights for things like SharePoint, Dynamics, Power BI, etc.  This account would be the owner for PowerApps and Flows.

We'll see how it goes.  Haven't tackled the email issue yet.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Flow Online Conference

Join us for a FULL day of FREE Microsoft Flow Sessions from some of the best minds in the industry!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 4,336 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: