cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oos
Level: Powered On

Weekly sharepoint news digest

We're using te sharepoint news webpart for all our news inside the company.
is it possible to send a news digest weekly? It is already possible with a trigger in SharePoint, but i cant find one in Flow. 

(https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-and-send-a-news-digest-42efc3c6-605f-4a9a-85d5-1f9ff...)

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Weekly sharepoint news digest

Hi @Oos,

MS Flow does not support features -"Send a news digest" currently.

I am afraid we can't achieve your needs at this time.

If you want to function that you mentioned to be supported in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

Hi @Oos, there isn't an already-built template for this but you can still create a Flow to send a weekly digest of News created by the News web part in SharePoint to produce something like this:

15-emailResult.jpg

The full list of actions is shown below and then I'll talk through each one:

0-FlowSteps.jpg 

1. SharePoint saves the news from the News web part in Site Pages, but you will probably have a lot of other pages there as well so you need to add a new column to show which pages are news and should therefore be included in the weekly digest. I created a called called PageType and set the default value to News - in normal work you might be creating more news pages than other types.

0-PageType.jpg

2. You want the flow to run once a week so in Flow create a recurrence schedule and set the details for when it will run:

1-Recurrence.jpg

3. The next step is to get the items from SharePoint. Select the site then type Site Pages in the List Name (it won't show up by default so you need to type it in as a custom entry). To speed up the processing of the flow once you have a lot of pages, set the filter query so that the only items that returned are those pages created in the last 7 days that have a PageType of News. The query filter should have the syntax Created gt  then an apostrophe ' then enter an expression using the syntax below and close it out with another apostrophe ' and PageType eq 'News'

adddays(utcNow(),-7)

2-GetItems.jpg

4. We then want to initialize 2 string variables to capture the page name of the news item and the text content. the value empty:

3-varName.jpg

3-varName.jpg

5. Initialize an Array variable which will be used to initially hold each item that will go in the table:5-varTable.jpg

6. The next step is to add an Apply to each and from the Dynamic Content box select Value. Then add 2 Append to string variables, one for the name and one for the description (remember, you initialized them earlier) and from the Dynamic Content box add the name and Description columns from your SharePoint Site pages document library.

8-appendtostringvariables.jpg

7. At this point I decided to add a step to convert UTC into British dd/MM/yy format so that the email shows the correct format, so you might not need this step.

10-convertTimeZone.jpg

8. The next step is to add an Append to array variable which will hold each string variable and the converted date.  You'll see that what will ho into the email is written in JSON. I'm not an expert on that so I'm sure others can add to this very basic example. Start with an open curly parenthesis (brackets), on the next line put "Published": inside punctuation marks, then add the Converted time from the Dynamic Content box and add a comma , before going to the next line and doing the same but this time using the varName variable you initialized and appended to earlier and after another comma , before doing the same for the Description line. As this is the last line there is no comma before you go to the next line and add curly closing parenthesis (brackets). So it should look like this:

11-Appendtoarrayvariable.jpg 

9. Unless you clear the string variables at this stage it will keep appending them so add 2 Set variables and you can select the Name you created earlier from the dropdown, and set them to an expression of null.

12-setVariablestoNull.jpg

10. We're almost there. You now need to add a Create HTML Table control and in the From box choose from the Dynamic Content box your array variable that you formatted in step 8.

13-createHtmlTable.jpg

11. The final step is to create your email and add from the Dynamic Content box the Output from the Create HTML Table control. You can then add any other thins you want on the email. I've just added a link back to the intranet.

14-sendAnEmail.jpg

In your final version you will probably want to add more controls about who the email will go to. 
Shortly I will be looking at whether it's possible to improve the formatting of the final table which will no doubt need more complex JSON code, ad I'd also like to include a thumbnail image for each item but I haven't investigated this yet.

I hope this is useful for you.

Rob

Super User
Super User

Hi @Oos, there isn't an already-built template for this but you can still create a Flow to send a weekly digest of News created by the News web part in SharePoint to produce something like this:

15-emailResult.jpg

The full list of actions is shown below and then I'll talk through each one:

0-FlowSteps.jpg 

1. SharePoint saves the news from the News web part in Site Pages, but you will probably have a lot of other pages there as well so you need to add a new column to show which pages are news and should therefore be included in the weekly digest. I created a called called PageType and set the default value to News - in normal work you might be creating more news pages than other types.

0-PageType.jpg

2. You want the flow to run once a week so in Flow create a recurrence schedule and set the details for when it will run:

1-Recurrence.jpg

3. The next step is to get the items from SharePoint. Select the site then type Site Pages in the List Name (it won't show up by default so you need to type it in as a custom entry). To speed up the processing of the flow once you have a lot of pages, set the filter query so that the only items that returned are those pages created in the last 7 days that have a PageType of News. The query filter should have the syntax Created gt  then an apostrophe ' then enter an expression using the syntax below and close it out with another apostrophe ' and PageType eq 'News'

adddays(utcNow(),-7)

2-GetItems.jpg

4. We then want to initialize 2 string variables to capture the page name of the news item and the text content. the value empty:

3-varName.jpg

3-varName.jpg

5. Initialize an Array variable which will be used to initially hold each item that will go in the table:5-varTable.jpg

6. The next step is to add an Apply to each and from the Dynamic Content box select Value. Then add 2 Append to string variables, one for the name and one for the description (remember, you initialized them earlier) and from the Dynamic Content box add the name and Description columns from your SharePoint Site pages document library.

8-appendtostringvariables.jpg

7. At this point I decided to add a step to convert UTC into British dd/MM/yy format so that the email shows the correct format, so you might not need this step.

10-convertTimeZone.jpg

8. The next step is to add an Append to array variable which will hold each string variable and the converted date.  You'll see that what will ho into the email is written in JSON. I'm not an expert on that so I'm sure others can add to this very basic example. Start with an open curly parenthesis (brackets), on the next line put "Published": inside punctuation marks, then add the Converted time from the Dynamic Content box and add a comma , before going to the next line and doing the same but this time using the varName variable you initialized and appended to earlier and after another comma , before doing the same for the Description line. As this is the last line there is no comma before you go to the next line and add curly closing parenthesis (brackets). So it should look like this:

11-Appendtoarrayvariable.jpg 

9. Unless you clear the string variables at this stage it will keep appending them so add 2 Set variables and you can select the Name you created earlier from the dropdown, and set them to an expression of null.

12-setVariablestoNull.jpg

10. We're almost there. You now need to add a Create HTML Table control and in the From box choose from the Dynamic Content box your array variable that you formatted in step 8.

13-createHtmlTable.jpg

11. The final step is to create your email and add from the Dynamic Content box the Output from the Create HTML Table control. You can then add any other thins you want on the email. I've just added a link back to the intranet.

14-sendAnEmail.jpg

In your final version you will probably want to add more controls about who the email will go to. 
Shortly I will be looking at whether it's possible to improve the formatting of the final table which will no doubt need more complex JSON code, ad I'd also like to include a thumbnail image for each item but I haven't investigated this yet.

I hope this is useful for you.

Rob

Highlighted
Oos

Thanks for your workaround. Unfortunately, this workaround is without the news images and has a different layout than the original

I made a Flow Idea. You can vote here: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Automate-sharepoint-news-digest-weekly/idi-p/194140

Super User
Super User

Ah right, I see what you mean. Good idea, I've voted.

Rob
Los Gallardos

DanielaHo

Hi 

Is this still correct - no Flow connector to SPO news digest yet? 

We are wanting the ability to change the 'sender' of the news digest, so the sender shown in the email is not the person who sent the news digest. I was wonderig if this could be achieved via Flow. 

Also, the solution presented in this thread appears to send all news items from a web part, so it does not have the same functionality of letting the sender select which news items to send..

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 60 members 3,437 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: