cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

contains condition not working

I have attempted to use the 'contains' and 'does not contain' evaluation in a condition and they do not seem to work.

I'm trying to determine if I should add a new card to a Trello list by first checking if there's a duplicate card. To accomplish this I'm attempting the following:

1. Using the 'Trello - List the cards in a board' function to get all the cards in the specified board.

2. Using a condition to evaluate the Trello 'Body' from the step above. The condition is: Body - Contains - [value]. I've tried to use both a static value and a variable value in place of [value] in this condition and neither works. I can physically see the value is in the 'Body' output, but for some reason both the 'Contains' and 'Does Not Contain' will not see/recognize the value.

Any suggestions? Or is this just a bug?

14 REPLIES 14
Microsoft Employee

Re: contains condition not working

Hi rzuu76,

I just tried the trello action with condition, and it works for me.

trello-card-flow.pngtrello-card.png

Could you share me your flow url for me to further investigate? like this: https://tip1.flow.microsoft.com/manage/flows/af4664dc-da29-45c0-aacb-2d798a4eb8e8

thanks,

telu

Anonymous
Not applicable

2016-09-28_9-18-27.jpg

Thanks for taking a look. Here's the flow that I'm working with.

Rfla
Level 10

Could it be linked to a my similar problem for SP list? Not recived a fix yet.
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Forum/Condition-problems/m-p/7500#M1751

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like your flow has an 'is equal to' evaluation in the condition, and not a 'contains' evaluation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rfla: it looks like I'm having a very similar/same problem. The 'contains' and 'does not contain' evaluation does not seem to work. I see they reported/initiated a bug fix for your post. Hopefully the bug fix addresses this post as well.

Microsoft Employee

Hi rzuu76,

I just try the condition "contains" and "not contain" with trello, it works

trello-condition.png

trello-condition-run.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Telu: Let me clarify the title of this post. The flow that I posted is completing successfully, however the 'contains' and 'does not contain' is not evaluating correctly. I have a card in a Trello board that has a title that contains a value (say value of 'blue'). When I use the condition 'body does not contain blue', it evaluates to true/yes when it clearly does contain blue.
Microsoft Employee

Hi rzuu76,

Yes, if you see the example flow I created above, I have a card in the trello with the card name of "testcard". when I use "does not contain", it doesn't satisfy the condition so the sending email action haven't been trigger. 

Could you replace the condition with send email and use the body token in the email body? So in this way, we can see what's the real value of each body for debugging this issue.

trello-condition.png

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi telu, you can't use the 'body' token in the the body of an email. It's not an available option. I can see the body of the output after the flow is ran and find that in the 'name' of one of the cards is the value that is being inserted into the contains evaluation ("name": "(270916-PI-00000005)",), yet it is evaluating as 'No'/false.

Anonymous
Not applicable

telu,

Also, another difference in our flows is that you are applying the conditions specifically to the name of the card for each card on the board rather than to the whole body of the trello output. The problem I found with that approach is that you will get an email for every card in the board. So in your test scenario it works fine because you only have one card. If you had 10 cards on your board, then you will get 10 emails. What I'm trying to do is determine if anywhere on the board there is a card with the same identifier and if not add a card. If I loop through every card looking for a name that contains an ID and it is No for each of the cards, then I end up adding a new card every time it evaluates as no.

Microsoft Employee

Could you change the InnovationId to 00000005 or something to debug and let it evaluate to the other value?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you mean put in the actual value (0000000005) rather than the variable 'InnovationID' in the condition, I've already tried that. I get the same result. I think the 'contains' evaluation just does not work with the 'Body' variable. I tried using the contains evaluation on the output of a filtered array, and it didn't work with that either.

Lexnnn
Level: Powered On

I needed to send email to users only once and not repeat their email address.

This is what I have done:

if(empty(item()?['Address']),'blank',item()?['Address'])

flow contains.JPGflow contains 2.JPG

Highlighted
hjaf
Level: Powered On

This thread was started in 2016, I'm having similar issues, what gives? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 192 members 4,419 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: