cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RussellGove
Level 8

how to extract email address from a sharepoint person or group column that allows multiple selection

Hi, I have a SharePoint list named 'Systems' it has a Titlle field and a field called 'SustemMaintainer'.  'SystemMaintaiiner is  a 'Person Or Group' columns that allows multiple selections and people only.

In my flow I got the correct row by calling getItems and filtering based on the title column. so I have an array with one row, and that row has an a  column that contains an array of people columns:

[
    {
        "Claims": "i:0#.f|membership|russell.gove@xx.com",
        "DisplayName": "Gove, Russell",
        "Email": "Russell.xx@xx.com",
        "Picture": "https://xx.sharepoint.com/sites/GLMasterData/_layouts/15/UserPhoto.aspx?Size=L&AccountName=Russell.Gove@tronox.com",
        "Department": "Infrastructure Services",
        "JobTitle": "Sr SharePoint Architect"
    },
    {
        "Claims": "i:0#.f|membership|xx.xx@xx.com",
        "DisplayName": "xx, xx",
        "Email": "John.xx@xx.com",
        "Picture": "https://xx.sharepoint.com/sites/GLMasterData/_layouts/15/UserPhoto.aspx?Size=L&AccountName=John.Njoroge@tronox.com",
        "Department": "CFO Staff",
        "JobTitle": "Manager Accounting Analysis"
    }
]

How do I go about sending an email to the  Email addresses in that array.

The expression 

body('getItems')?['Value']?[0]?['SystemMaintainer']]

gets me the list of objects,  But how do i extract the email addresses from thos objects in a format thats sutable for sending an email?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: how to extract email address from a sharepoint person or group column that allows multiple selec

Hi @RussellGove

This is the approach I took to get the Email property from the SharePoint People field:

1. For the trigger, I'm using the Manually trigger a flow
  2. In the next step, I'm using the SharePoint - Get items action and I set the Filter Query to retrieve the specific item I need
  3. In the next step, I'm using the Data Operations - Select action. In the From field, add the expression below.
    first(body('Get_items')?['Value'])?['SystemMaintainer']

The expression above is similar to the expression you're using to retrieve the SystemMaintainer. The difference is your expression has the first item from the array hard coded ([0]). The expression above uses the first() function to do the same thing. I find this approach a little cleaner.
    For the Map field, switch to text mode by clicking on the T located on the lower-right corner, and then add the expression 

item()?['Email']

This will retrieve the email address for each System Maintainer.

4. In the next step, I'm using the Data Operations - Join action. In the From field, select the Output from the Select step and for the Join with field, enter a semicolon (Smiley Wink. This will build a string of all the email addresses, each one separated by the semicolon.
  5. And for the last step, add a Send an email action. In the To field, select the Output from the Join step. And for the Subject and Body fields, enter the information you need.

Try and let me know. Also, I added a screenshot of my Flow below so you can see all the steps.

Extract-4.JPG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: how to extract email address from a sharepoint person or group column that allows multiple selec

Hi @RussellGove,

Have your problem be solved?

I have made a test on my side, @faustocapellanj's solution is works on my side.

You could refer to screenshot below to create the flow:

Capture.PNG

Note:

1.Please notice that the Get items action name on your side,

if the Get items action name is getItems,

You could enter expression in the From field as below:

body('getItems')?['Value']?[0]?['SustemMaintainer']

Also you could enter expression as below:

first(body('getItems')?['Value'])?['SystemMaintainer']

if the Get items action name is Get items,

body('Get_items')?['Value']?[0]?['SustemMaintainer']

2.Please make sure you have switch the Map in select action to text mode by click the symbol below:

Capture.PNG  

The expression in the Map field in the select action as below:

item()['Email']

The flow would run successfully as below:

Capture.PNG

Please let me know if your problem could be solved.

Best regards,

Alice

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @RussellGove

This is the approach I took to get the Email property from the SharePoint People field:

1. For the trigger, I'm using the Manually trigger a flow
  2. In the next step, I'm using the SharePoint - Get items action and I set the Filter Query to retrieve the specific item I need
  3. In the next step, I'm using the Data Operations - Select action. In the From field, add the expression below.

The expression above is similar to the expression you're using to retrieve the SystemMaintainer. The difference is your expression has the first item from the array hard coded ([0]). The expression above uses the first() function to do the same thing. I find this approach a little cleaner.
    For the Map field, switch to text mode by clicking on the T located on the lower-right corner, and then add the expression 

item()?['Email']

This will retrieve the email address for each System Maintainer.

4. In the next step, I'm using the Data Operations - Join action. In the From field, select the Output from the Select step and for the Join with field, enter a semicolon (Smiley Wink. This will build a string of all the email addresses, each one separated by the semicolon.
  5. And for the last step, add a Send an email action. In the To field, select the Output from the Join step. And for the Subject and Body fields, enter the information you need.

Try and let me know. Also, I added a screenshot of my Flow below so you can see all the steps.

Extract-4.JPG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @RussellGove,

Have your problem be solved?

I have made a test on my side, @faustocapellanj's solution is works on my side.

You could refer to screenshot below to create the flow:

Capture.PNG

Note:

1.Please notice that the Get items action name on your side,

if the Get items action name is getItems,

body('getItems')?['Value']?[0]?['SustemMaintainer']

first(body('getItems')?['Value'])?['SystemMaintainer']

if the Get items action name is Get items,

body('Get_items')?['Value']?[0]?['SustemMaintainer']

2.Please make sure you have switch the Map in select action to text mode by click the symbol below:

Capture.PNG  

The expression in the Map field in the select action as below:

item()['Email']

The flow would run successfully as below:

Capture.PNG

Please let me know if your problem could be solved.

Best regards,

Alice

RussellGove
Level 8

Works like a champ! Thanks!

>