cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtowsey
Level: Powered On

schedule a flow to run quarterly, annually, and Biennially

I have a database that contains a bunch of dates that represent due dates for regulatory reports that get submitted on a quarterly, annual, and biennial basis. The dates represent an initial date for the report submittal that is entered by the user. I would like to trigger an email reminder to the user quarterly, annually, and biennially from that date as a reminder to generate the report again. Is this possible using recurrence within Flow?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: schedule a flow to run quarterly, annually, and Biennially

Hi @dtowsey,

Could you please show a bit more about the due dates and initial dates?

Do you want to trigger an email to the user quarterly, annually and biennially from initial date in one flow?

Currently, the recurrence trigger could trigger an email to the user quarterly and annually in Microsoft Flow. Please take a try with the following workaround:

• For quarterly6.JPG

• For annually7.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @dtowsey,

Could you please show a bit more about the due dates and initial dates?

Do you want to trigger an email to the user quarterly, annually and biennially from initial date in one flow?

Currently, the recurrence trigger could trigger an email to the user quarterly and annually in Microsoft Flow. Please take a try with the following workaround:

• For quarterly6.JPG

• For annually7.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
dtowsey

That is what I am looking for. What was confusing me was the documentation regarding Flow run duration and retention. I am not sure I understand the run duration limit of 30 days. 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @dtowsey,

The max run duration of a single flow is 30 days. For example, we add “Start an approval” action in my flow and run the flow. The “Start an approval” doesn’t stop running until the approver approve or reject the request. If the approver doesn’t make response continuously and the duration is more than 30 days, the flow will have time out error.

Best regards,

Kris

GustavC

So I'm making a flow to send out email notifiations, but you are refering to days, weeks, months and years in the recurrence trigger, but when I try to use it "Year" is not an option largest time period I can see is month. If I try to set a mounth value larger than 16, I get an error: "The recurrence trigger 'Recurrence' interval value '17' is not valid for consumption based workflows."

15 mounths is not enough for me, I need 23 - 24 months xD

RLambert

Hi, did you get a reply to your question about annual (year not an option)?  I don't have a need for that option yet, but I figure it's going to be an issue at some point.

Thanks

Highlighted
RLambert

I just ran a test and found the answer for both of us.  We can use Day for the Frequency and whatever Interval we want.  I don't know if there is an upper limit, but I went for two years (730 days) and it appears to work.  At least I didn't get an error.

Flow to run every 2 years.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 4,566 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: