Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Action 'Copy file' failed when copying file in the same library



I'm attempting to copy a file in the same library but getting error - Action 'Copy file' failed




Here's the flow




I've got two possible causes


The error shows an incorrect filename as it is missing the '+' signs 


Failure summary



Click here to learn about how to fix common failures. You can also ask our community where others may have encountered a similar problem.

  • Action 'Copy file' failed

    Fix It

    To make this flow work, inspect the inputs to this action and ensure they would find the right resource.

    Error type

    This action failed because it tried to access something that does not exist.

    Error Details

    The error message from the service is below. This maybe useful for support:

    The file DoP No 98_Glasstex_P200x200 R STR IB (UK).pdf does not exist. clientRequestId: 72101f9f-e6f3-43ca-bc66-01f837c5db90


    And the file path in the flow is as below





    Also the file has 7 managed metadata columns which are preventing me from using the create file using data from "Get File Content".


    Obviously all this stems from the lack of functionality to simply rename the file, Not easy for an end user who is processing hundreds of files.







Advocate II
Advocate II

For your variable “Append”, you might find some conversion is happening with the type the data is being store as.

Check the input and output of that variable initialisation for “append” and you might find your need to pass a string or encode/decode that data before setting it as the variable.

If so you can do this with the compose action easily.
Not applicable

Thats for the reply but I get the same error without any variables. eg I simply use the output as test.pdf and get the same error, the flow team are usually pretty quick to fix though  



Advocate II
Advocate II

Good testing. Add the issue to the “I found a bug” board and someone it will get through to the right team faster.
Not applicable

Hey all,



I had the same issue as well.

I solved it just because my source path wasn't correct so I would definitly check that again.

Also did you fill in the source path yourself? Like the filename with the + and stuff?


You could do some steps before that with get file properties so you can get the Name of the file dynamically.


Kind regards




If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered.

Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up.

Helpful resources

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (82,061)