cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanielAmico
Level: Powered On

Allow only 1 instance of a flow to run at the same time

Hello all, I would like to know if there is a way to avoid the same flow to run while there is another instance of this same flow already running.

This is because I've noticed that when 2 or more instances of the same flow are running at the same time, the data manipulation that it's performing turns into a "complete mess". This does not happen if I wait for the running flow to complete before starting a new one. 

However, this limitation is very bad because I want to be able to share the flow w/ other people and they will eventually start it at the same time and the final result would be incorrect.

Basically, my flow (manually triggered) extracts some data from SQL DB (Azure), then I use an Excel template file (stored in my OneDrive for Business) w/ a table in order to be populated w/ the data from SQL. For this step, I have to first list all the rows in the table and then I loop through it and delete them all before I add the new rows that are coming from SQL.

After that, I inserted a 1-minute delay before getting the file contents /metadata and then send the excel file by email.

See the setup of my flow attached. 

I appreciate some help - as I said, what I want is to avoid this flow to be initiated at the same time because if it happens, my excel template file turns into a mess (conflicting/incorrect information is sent by email probably because one instance of the flow is inserting rows at the same time or removing rows at the same time of the other and vice versa)FlowIssue.pngSetup of my flow

Thanks, Daniel

2 REPLIES 2
DanielAmico
Level: Powered On

Re: Allow only 1 instance of a flow to run at the same time

Is anyone able to help? No replies until now....  Smiley Frustrated

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Allow only 1 instance of a flow to run at the same time

Hi @DanielAmico,

Microsoft Flow is multi-threaded, there is no way to detect if some other instances are running at the same time in Microsoft Flow currently.

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently, if you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,025)