cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bondy_07
Frequent Visitor

Apply for each is very slow

Hello,

I am using Apply for Each to loop through the records and some conditions in LOOP. My observation is that the Flow gets stuck up in Apply for Each and takes 30 mins for looping through 150 records.

Any help is appreciated for improving the performance of the Flow

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the flow has thousands of iterations in an Apply to each container, then it might not be the types of actions that are slowing things down, but the number of them. I ran into this about a month ago, because one of my flows had a couple thousand iterations per run, and it was scheduled to run every hour. Normally, it would complete in about 5 minutes, but after the second or third run, it started taking several hours, because the flow was being throttled by Microsoft. You might want to review the plan action limits here...

Limits and configuration - Power Automate | Microsoft Docs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Anonymous , I'm not sure you are getting what I'm saying here, I agree that as much as possible you should not be doing thousands of iterations in apply to each, and where possible you should use the array controls until you need to amend something in your data source, and even then, you should look at the batch operations in the graph.

You seem to be wanting to start an argument here, I'm trying to make sure that the OP has as much useful info as they can get. I have been authoring Flows for 5 years, pretty much since its release and have personally authored nearly 200 flows for various clients and for the org I work for. I am answering a specific question with a specific problem, the generic answer of check what actions you are using and that Microsoft are useless doesn't help the OP. I have given them something to try based on thousands of hours of experience and not on technicalities.

Also in one of your previous answers, you said that REST calls can only do one request at a time, this is not right as you can absolutely send batch requests to both SharePoint and the Graph:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/sp-add-ins/make-batch-requests-with-the-rest-apis

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/json-batching

You can use the Select command to generate your batch requests in blocks of 20.

Use a do while loop, count in 20s

Robhcc_0-1627306935668.png

Then do a select statement to build the JSON batch requests

Robhcc_1-1627307033568.png

Then finally encapsulate the body in a requests tag and do the call:

Robhcc_2-1627307106807.png

This flow took my import run from approx 17 hours per 1000 rows to about 4 minutes. You should also note that I have avoided the use of variables within the loop itself, I have only used one to store the current iteration ID.

I have just registered to AGREE WITH YOU ON A VERY ADVANCED LEVEL. Every. Fkin. Day. I am meeting the strangest and dumbest errors Microsoft have made. They are not consequent about their systems, making inappropriate changes day by day. "Yesterday" we had "Get rows" which can easily access Excel files from flow, working jack audio ports (without bull**bleep** 3rd party software needed), upgradeable systems (like i have pc which can't upgrade to win11, but doesn't do any errors, but rollbacking without a word said). You can't have tasks (Planner) in private Teams channels, also can't have subchannels. These are just minor, but very annoying things, but I could write it for days. But the worst is that it's uncontrollable. Our company pays more then 2500 USD / month, and I have to deal with Microsoft bull**bleep** every day.

takolota
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

This was quite the lively thread.

For slow Apply to each loops, the answer is often to structure things better and not use them. Or to at least use them less.

Here is a batch update SharePoint template along with links to batch create & batch delete SharePoint:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Cookbook/Batch-Update-SharePoint-List-With-Extern...

Then I am working on batch actions for Excel here:

Batch Update: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Cookbook/Batch-Update-Excel/td-p/1624706

Batch Create Is available with premium HTTP connectors: https://sharepains.com/2020/06/08/super-fast-update-excel-using-power-automate/amp/

Although you could probably also create something similar without premium connectors with Office Scripts, like I did with the batch update: https://youtu.be/4g8Lh0gzEnc

And I’ll probably make a batch delete for Excel with Office Scripts too if I can’t find something soon.

Then use Filter array actions instead of conditionals in loops whenever you can. You can set one for the true condition & another filter for the false condition if you need both.

Use Select actions to select columns, reformat data, etc.

Also @Alan_Sanchez, if you still need something for CSV situations, you can take a look at this Get CSV Data to JSON template (no apply to each loops): https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Cookbook/CSV-to-Dataset/td-p/1508191

Having the same issue in 2022, it's not efficient at all. Never had this issue when building my own conversion components in JS. 

Agreed, there's so many limitations I've seen in the Power platform, and innefficient algorithms for handling data. Hell even simple API calls can take a while to transfer data. If google's firebase tools can be real time so can MS Power platform. The company is massive and used in so many businesses, I expect more from them at this point. It's clear that whatever they're using for apply to each isn't optimized at all, I used one apply to each to add new rows to an excel file and it feels like it takes as long as it would take if I had three nested for loops going in JS. It's simple relational data, 1 record in SP = 1 row in excell, so I don't understand why it needs to take so long, especially because it takes time getting items before it even begins creating the rows, if you already have the data and aren't reading as you write it should be even faster but it isn't.

takolota
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

@nBow 

Yes, it can be pretty slow using standard methods to create & update things in Excel. It’s a little surprising an open-source/community dev can come up with a set-up 50-100x faster than the MS defaults:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Cookbook/Excel-Batch-Create-Update-and-Upsert/td-...

Wow, that's awesome, my company is pretty limiting as far as what I can implement, but I'll see if I can get this working in my flow. Good work. That's pretty much exactly what I mean though, I don't understand why the default API calls are so inneficient. It makes a call per row and there's no out of box solution in flow for batch updating, which is crazy to me, updating 500 rows in excel should never take 20-30 minutes. Thank you for the response, I'll see if I can use this update.

Update:
I got the script working pretty easily, flow time went from ~30m to 1 minute, specifically the add row action which took around 27m was cut down to 29s - 37s, the 1 minute run time is due to other limiters I have in place in the flow on purpose. That's pretty crazy. This should be microsofts default update method. The code is pretty defined as is, but it shouldn't be too much work to make it dynamic.

loriinenglewood

I have a flow that's been running for 26 minutes to put ONE attachment name and date into a spreadsheet. I'd love to get rid of the Apply to Each command, but Power Automate forces you to use it, even though this flow deals with only one attachment per email. 

The Power Automate is not ideal thing. But you are a human and if something forces you to use "Apply to Each" cycle, you can find a way to resist, right? 

See https://tomriha.com/stop-power-automate-flow-from-adding-apply-to-each-automatically/

Welcome to my web site.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!  Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Users online (7,364)