cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New2PA
Helper I
Helper I

Apply retention label with the action 'Send_an_HTTP_request_to_SharePoint'

I am trying to apply a retention label to a file when it is created or modified in a SharePoint Online library if Yes/No field of this file is set to Yes.

New2PA_0-1629966575921.png

I an following the method #9 in this article: Retention in SharePoint Online: the HOW – Joanne C Klein to invoke the Send an HTTP Request action from a Power Automate Flow to make a REST call against the document using the SetComplianceTag method.

New2PA_1-1629966702931.png

And I built my flow as below.

New2PA_2-1629966793969.png

Unfortunately the flow ran with a failure. The error is detected on the action 'Send_an_HTTP_request_to_SharePoint'.

Error Details:

{"odata.error":{"code":"-1, Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.InvalidClientQueryException","message":{"lang":"en-US","value":"The expression \"web/lists/GetByTitle(\u2018testdoc\u2019)/items(2)/SetComplianceTag()\" is not valid."}}}
clientRequestId: e61e4c5d-f60d-43c0-9df3-867c6f549ade
serviceRequestId: 503ce99f-9012-0000-a75f-2a827b203399

OUTPUTS:

Body:

{
  "status": 400,
  "message": "{\"odata.error\":{\"code\":\"-1, Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.InvalidClientQueryException\",\"message\":{\"lang\":\"en-US\",\"value\":\"The expression \\\"web/lists/GetByTitle(\\u2018testdoc\\u2019)/items(2)/SetComplianceTag()\\\" is not valid.\"}}}\r\nclientRequestId: e61e4c5d-f60d-43c0-9df3-867c6f549ade\r\nserviceRequestId: 503ce99f-9012-0000-a75f-2a827b203399",
  "source": "https://xxx.sharepoint.com/sites/Astralis/_api/web/lists/GetByTitle(%E2%80%98testdoc%E2%80%99)/items(2)/SetComplianceTag()",
  "errors": []
}

Headers:

{
  "Pragma": "no-cache",
  "x-ms-request-id": "503ce99f-9012-0000-a75f-2a827b203399",
  "Strict-Transport-Security": "max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains",
  "X-Content-Type-Options": "nosniff",
  "X-Frame-Options": "DENY",
  "Cache-Control": "no-store, no-cache",
  "Set-Cookie": "ARRAffinity=10311927bc5d2db28df9fe9cefb5a0d2bc21f4f95c5f470797b6dd738bc1c4a3;Path=/;HttpOnly;Secure;Domain=sharepointonline-ea.azconn-ea.p.azurewebsites.net,ARRAffinitySameSite=10311927bc5d2db28df9fe9cefb5a0d2bc21f4f95c5f470797b6dd738bc1c4a3;Path=/;HttpOnly;SameSite=None;Secure;Domain=sharepointonline-ea.azconn-ea.p.azurewebsites.net",
  "Timing-Allow-Origin": "*",
  "x-ms-apihub-cached-response": "true",
  "Date": "Thu, 26 Aug 2021 08:33:57 GMT",
  "Content-Length": "566",
  "Content-Type": "application/json",
  "Expires": "-1"
}

Status Code: 

Did i miss anything? Could my requirement be achieved by the action 'Send_an_HTTP_request_to_SharePoint'? If yes, how? If no, is there any alternative?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @New2PA,

I just had a look in the interface. When I try to set it I see the POST request has an additional field I need to set, isUnlockedAsDefault. You might want to add that to your body field.

{
"complianceTag":"3YearsDeletion",
"isTagPolicyHold":false,
"isTagPolicyRecord":false,
"isEventBasedTag":false,
"isTagSuperLock":false,
"isUnlockedAsDefault":false
}

View solution in original post

Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @New2PA.

I just noticed the %E2%80%98, that corresponds with ‘ character in your error message 😁

Can you please use the ' character instead in the GetByTitle('').

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @New2PA,

I just had a look in the interface. When I try to set it I see the POST request has an additional field I need to set, isUnlockedAsDefault. You might want to add that to your body field.

{
"complianceTag":"3YearsDeletion",
"isTagPolicyHold":false,
}

Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @New2PA.

I just noticed the %E2%80%98, that corresponds with ‘ character in your error message 😁

Can you please use the ' character instead in the GetByTitle('').

New2PA
Helper I
Helper I

Wow!! Working like a charm😀 Much appreciated for you help. You are the king!!! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Expiscornovus ,

Once again you helped me but I am facing an issue, I am able to apply the label "00_Reference". the label gets set also but when I am deleting the files/folders it gets deleted but ideally it should not be deleted. can you help what I am missing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Expiscornovus 

ShubhamBajpai_0-1639654710070.png

This is the output of the flow,

ShubhamBajpai_1-1639654978733.png

The label is getting applied, but still I can delete the folder, it should not get deleted.

ShubhamBajpai_2-1639655076779.png

This is the name of label which I am trying to apply

Please help me on this @Expiscornovus 

Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

In the previous example the retention settings of the label are different. In that example we were deleting it after 3 years (the Only delete items when they reach a certain age setting). In that setup labeled items won't be retained, but when they reach the age you choose, they will automatically be deleted from where they're stored.​

In your example you want prevent it from being deleted. That type of definition comes with different retention settings. I believe in your setup the isTagPolicyHold should be true instead of false.

Try this instead:

{
"complianceTag":"00_Reference",
"isTagPolicyHold":true,
}

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Expiscornovus  you are a  genius, it worked 🙂 thanks a lot 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Users online (1,605)