cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james1812
Frequent Visitor

Approval Flow Reminder does not stop as soon as variable is met

Hi there, 

I have created an approval email reminder in my flow, however, when the variable is met the email reminder is still sent once more before it stops. Is there a step I am missing? 

Any help will be greatly appreciated 🙂 

james1812_0-1608645109035.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChadVKealey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

The variable is evaluated before the delay, so the way you have it set up, it will ALWAYS send another reminder even after it's "Complete". You need to add a Condition just above the send email step to re-check the variable value (after the delay) to see if the reminder still needs to be sent. Alternately, you could add a "Terminate" step at the end of the Approval branch. That will "kill" the flow when it's complete, effectively preventing the reminder from sending. I usually do both (which is unnecessary, but I'm a "belt & suspenders" kind of guy).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChadVKealey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

The variable is evaluated before the delay, so the way you have it set up, it will ALWAYS send another reminder even after it's "Complete". You need to add a Condition just above the send email step to re-check the variable value (after the delay) to see if the reminder still needs to be sent. Alternately, you could add a "Terminate" step at the end of the Approval branch. That will "kill" the flow when it's complete, effectively preventing the reminder from sending. I usually do both (which is unnecessary, but I'm a "belt & suspenders" kind of guy).

james1812
Frequent Visitor

Ah amazing, this works, thank you very much! 

Not a problem. BTW, as useful as reminders are, they're more meaningful when there is a "default" outcome that will be applied if the approval isn't complete. For example, in the leave approval process I built for our department, if the user's manager doesn't specifically "Approve" the request within 29 days, the request is marked as "Rejected". I send 4 "regular" reminders, 6 days apart, then a "final" reminder on day 28. All reminders indicated "The request will be marked as Rejected if not specifically Approved by [approval_deadline]" and the "final" reminder uses slightly more urgent language. 

Also, if you use the newer "Create an approval" action (rather than the "Start and wait for an approval"), one of the outputs is a "response link", which will take the user directly to that specific approval object. That makes it a whole lot easier to direct them where to go to "complete" the process. Note that with that action, you need a separate "Wait for approval" action to "catch" the response when they make it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

New Process Advisor Capabilities carousel.png

Read the blog for the latest news

Read the latest about new experiences and capabilities in the Power Automate product blog.

PA Survey Carousel Image.png

We want to hear from you!

If you are a small business ISV/Reseller, share your thoughts with our research team.

AI Builder AMA June 7th carousel (up on May 25th, take down June 8th) (1).png

'Ask Microsoft Anything' about AI Builder!

The AI Builder team invite you to ask questions and provide helpful answers at our next AMA.

Users online (1,607)