cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tism
Level: Powered On

Approval Process - Administrator approving on behalf of user

Hi,

How can an administrative user (e.g. a flow owner or an Office 365 admin) approve/reject an approval request on behlaf of another user?  In a realistic scenario, this may be if someone is away sick, but the approval is holding up a business process from going forward - it will be crucial in this kind of situation to have an administrator to have the ability to approve/reject an approval request so that things don't get held up.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Re: Approval Process - Administrator approving on behalf of user

Currently, Flow does not support the ability for anyone other than the assigned approver to take action on an approval.

You might submit this as a Flow Idea here.

A work around might be to set a timeout on the approval action.  If the approval does not happen within a specified time period, it times out and the Flow moves on possibly to another approval.

Here is a simplified example:

• When a new item is created in a SharePoint list, an Approval starts
  • If that Approval doesn't finish within 1 minute ( I am impatient....), the second Approval starts
    • To set the timeout for 1 day, the duration would be P1D
  • If the first approval does not time out, the second approval does not run

Timeout1.jpgTimeout3.jpgTimeout4.jpg

If this meets your needs, please mark you question as Solved.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
tism

Hi Scott,

Thanks for this.  I don't think this fits the specific use case that my client has in mind, as the ability to override an approval is not necessarily tied to a time period - there's more likely to be another business reason (such as someone being away sick, CEO too busy, etc).  I will submit this as an idea - Admins generally have the ability to perform operations of behalf of an employee user in Office 365 (e.g. SharePoint, Exchange) and approvals in flow should be no different.

Thanks.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @tism,

Do you want the Office 365 Admin have full permission to approve/reject an approval request sent to any Employee within the Office 365 group?

If you want the Office 365 Admin to approve/reject the Approval request when the Employee doesn't make a response to the Approval request within specific time, I think @ScottShearer's solution could achieve your needs. 

If you want the Office 365 Admin have full permission to approve/reject an approval request sent to any Employee within the Office 365 group no matter if the Employee has made a response to the Approval request, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
tism

Hi @v-xida-msft,

It is definitely the latter case - i.e. "Office 365 Admin have full permission to approve/reject an approval request sent to any Employee within the Office 365 group".  My client has asked for the ability for an administrator to be able to action an approval, regardless of time - that could be instant, or that could be 5 days later.  So  while @ScottShearer's  suggestion is a good one, it won't satisfy my client's business requirements.

I have actually made two new idea requests here and here, both would satisfy their requirement.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Speakers, submit your sessions now! Call for speakers ends Feb. 10!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,550)