cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spellicer

Approval action does not fill in recipients array

We have been experimenting with the Approval system for a few weeks. Recently, approval notifications which previously worked ceased sending approvals. New, very basic approvals (trigger with a flow button, one action of creating and waiting for an approval) cannot send approvals. When looking at the trace, most of the approval looks similar to previous successful runs, but the approvers field in the approval body shows as an empty array. The "assignedTo" of the input has a correct e-mail address in it. When looking through the data of the environment (the sandbox instance of Dynamics CRM), we see the approval in the raw approval data. It is not showing in any Approvals of the "assignedTo" user. This is not working if we try personal flows or Solution Aware flows within the Dynamics Solution. Any tips on where else to check for why this would not be assigning to approvers?

4 REPLIES 4
Jcook
Super User III
Super User III

Hello @spellicer 

Could you share a screenshot of your flow,

You mention that this is a button flow, are you triggering the flow with the button or using previous run as a test?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips,
tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Here's the flow, as minimal as I could get it:

spellicer_1-1597103595114.png

Here's the output of the test run, notice the empty approvers array: 

spellicer_0-1597103525863.png

Hello @spellicer 

There are 2 different approval actions,

- Start approval

-Start and wait for approval

If you’re using the Start approval. You also need to add an action called Wait for approval. (This is the one you’re using) try adding a wait for approval. I can see your body outputs has the assigned to filled out. So the value is properly being passed. But the approval needs the wait for approval otherwise it will just complete and not be assigned

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips,
tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

I have done both of these. If I do create and wait, the approval never comes to me (per the problem I'm having with approvals being assigned to a user). The flow hangs at the step of create and wait with no approvals showing up neither in e-mail nor in approval dashboard of flows.

spellicer_0-1597111724343.png

Is what you are saying about Creating an approval without the wait correct? You are saying that if I use create an approval I need to create the wait within the same flow or it will complete and not be assigned? That doesn't seem right. It is my understanding that I should be able to create an approval and it should be out and available to the user even after the flow ends. Otherwise there is no way to asynchronously interact with the approval outside the flow. For example we would like for the approval to be in the user's available approvals and be able to handle the response to that approval in a separate flow. This would allow us to cancel approvals if the user directly updates the record instead of going through the approval.

When I query the Approval store with FetchXML, it is showing an open approval that is not complete when I do a create an approval. It's state is active (0), it's stagekey is BASIC as opposed to COMPLETE. It looks identical to the Approval created with Create and Wait.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Users online (20,392)