cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approval alert failing to send to certain users

Hi All,

I am having a strange issue with my approval flows. The request email is not sending to certain users, via the 'assigned to' column using the dynamic content for a person's email address. This flow is linked to a sharepoint list.

When an approval is triggered certain members report that they simply do not receive an approval email. Upon further investigation, I can see an error message: Forbidden. The request failed. Error code: 'XrmApiRequestFailed'. Error Message: 'Request to XRM API failed with error: 'Message: Principal user (Id=5335d1a3-11d2-e811-a978-0022480081fc, type=8, accessMode= 1, roleCount=4, privilegeCount=555, is missing prvReadmsdyn_flow_basicapprovalmodel privilege (Id=3b2c2d9c-2584-4f34-a2cd-d70097e519c4 Code: 0x80040231 InnerError.

I am unsure as to why this sort of error would be appearing; all the people who are referenced in the 'assigned to' column are members of the company and thus have the same licence as me, and the issue doesn't happen when I put my own email in the assigned to section. Also, everybody is a member of the sharepoint group so that shouldn't be an issue.

Please let me know if you can help.

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Approval alert failing to send to certain users

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you share a screenshot of your flow? Are you using a group email address or individual email address in the Assigned to field?

Please check if all the users are under Azure Active Group.

I have created an approval flow which is working fine on my side.

1.PNG 

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mabel,

I have attached screenshots of the flow below. The dynamic content 'Manager Name' is linked to a sharepoint list item, which is a person/group. How do I check the Azure Directory? Shouldn't all staff members with office 365 access be on this?

vacflowhelp1.PNGvacflowhelp2.PNGvacflowhelp3.PNGvacflowhelp4.PNGvacflowhelp5.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mabel,

With this in mind, how do you configure a team member's manager in the Azure Active Directory, is there a simple guide on how one does this?

Alex

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for providing the screenshots.

From the screenshot, it seems that in the Assigned to field, you are using dynamic content “Manger Name”. Will it return a valid email address?

I assume that “Manager Name” is of type people and group. Is there a dynamic content called “Manager Name Email”? If yes, please select this for the Assigned to field.

By the way, about how to add users using Azure AD, please check it at here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/fundamentals/add-users-azure-active-directory

About how to assign roles to a user, please check it here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/fundamentals/active-directory-users-assign-role-azure-portal

Best regards,

Mabel

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mabel,

Yes the field I'm using is called 'Manager Name Email' the output says: 'Manager_x0020_Name' [Email].

I cannot understand why this would be a problem apart from something in the Azure Portal.

Just to be clear, I can assign managers for users in the 'assign roles' section? I could then use the get manager v2 function could I not?

Thanks,

Alex

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mabel,

I have arranged for the global admin to enter who everybody's manager is via the Azure Active Directory. I have used the get manager v2 feature to see if this works and  it works fine, but simply does not send the approval email to the manager's mailbox hence why it is stuck on 'start an approval'. I have checked with my manager and I can see that the email is not appearing on his side.

What other potential problems could there be?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for updating.

Please add a Compose action directly after the trigger and input the dynamic content Manager Name Email to see if it will return the valid email address of your manager.

Besides, as you are trying to send an approval email to your manager and the flow is now stuck on action “Start an approval”, so I assume that the approval email has been sent but just waiting for approval. Please suggest your manager check if the email has been moved to Junk email box or others automatically.

Best regards,

Mabel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mabel,

The thing is, I am now using the Get Manager V2 function to find my manager via Azure, then inserting the orange office 365 "Mail" option and I can see that my manager's email comes up correctly. This would negate the possibility that flow was composing an email incorrectly, and the approval still doesn't send. This leads me to the conclusion that it must be some sort of bug on Microsoft's side?

Alex

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,839)