cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approvals and Timeout - Why Does a Timed Out Approval Email Not Locked

Recently, I had a requirement for a list where the approval email should time out after 2 weeks and resend for three occurrences. I successfully used a do until loop to achieve that.

However, in testing, I discovered that the first email (the one that had timed out) still allowed the user to click on the Accept or Reject button, type Comments, and click Submit. I was expecting that email to be frozen (more like what happens in a first to approve type of approval) so that the user would easily be able to tell that approval was timed out. True, if they completed the next approval email (the active one), it wouldn't matter. But I worry that they might skip it thinking they had already completed it.

Is that default approval timeout behavior? I'm trying to decide if I handle this with user training or if there is another programmatic way to deal with this. Thanks in advance for any insight.

2 REPLIES 2
yashag2255
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @Anonymous 

So the approvals card is just an adaptive card of actionable type in Outlook. There is a default property to update the card once someone responds to the approval. However, this is not applicable in timeouts. If you think this should be added as a feature, you can create an idea post or update existing similar ones here: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/idb-p/MPAIdeas

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! It's good to know that it is how it is presently designed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (96,367)