Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bangorkeith
Helper II
Helper II

Approvals using email address which contains apostrophes

Hi,

I've encountered a problem with an apparoval flow.  If someone has an apostrophe in their email address it causes it to fail.  Unfortunately quite a few people in our organisation have aprostrophes in their email (I know it's terrible practice but I can't change them now). 

Is there a way to format the email address in the approval action to make it work?  For example, force it to replace ' with %27? It's getting the email address from an input box when the flow starts.

I'm hoping there is a suitable workaround somewhere!

Thanks

Keith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I did find a workaround since this post thankfully.  The email address was to someone with the surname O'Brien, luckily they are able to receive emails to OBrien also but it's the apostrophe version that it defaults to in the 365 contact list.

I ended up using REPLACE(triggerbody()?['email'],'''','') instead, [email] being the input box that loads up when I run the flow.  It works very well now.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bangorkeith,

Could you please share an sample of the email address which contains apostrophes?

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Could you please show more details about the error message?

Further, could you please show a bit more about your scenario?

I don't think the email address which contains apostrophes is a valid email address format, please check if you have filled proper email address within "Start an approval" action. In addition, we could not send an approval email to the users who are not in your Office 365 Group or Organization currently.

I could not reproduce your issue on my side currently, in addition, I don't think force the email address to replace ' with %27 could solve your problem.

Please take a try to send an email to the email address which contains apostrophes using "Send an email" action of Outlook connector, then check if the action works well. If the action failed, I afraid that there is no way to send an approval email to email address which contains apostrophes.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I did find a workaround since this post thankfully.  The email address was to someone with the surname O'Brien, luckily they are able to receive emails to OBrien also but it's the apostrophe version that it defaults to in the 365 contact list.

I ended up using REPLACE(triggerbody()?['email'],'''','') instead, [email] being the input box that loads up when I run the flow.  It works very well now.

I'm having this EXACT same problem right now. In my org, users CANNOT receive emails without the apostrophe.

Scenario: 

• Get a Row from Excel Online table
  • Office365 SearchUsers using email field from above
  • IF CONDITION: Email is empty @empty(body('Search_for_users_2')) )
    • Yes: Do x
    • No: Do y

The Flow just spins and spins on the email address Bob.O'Keefe@mycompany.com. WHILE the Flow was running, I deleted the " ' " from the email and the Flow followed the IF CONDITION - NO from above.

This means two things:

1. You cannot search my org's active directory by Email without the apostrophe.
  2. I need to figure out a different IF CONDITION besides empty()

Ideas?

NickiPT
Helper I
Helper I

I know it's many years later but if anyone else comes across this post, I wrote up what worked for me on this other forum post here: Apostrophe in email address - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (3,655)