cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sticks1
Regular Visitor

Automate login to web portal

I'm totally new to Power Automate and am trying to build a flow that automates logging into a web portal, and then downloading various reports.  On my browser I have the username and password saved, so usually I simply click "Submit" and I log straight in.

When trying to automate this step, the result is "Failed Login".  

Is there a specific step required to allow Power Automate to login in to web portals that are password protected?

I appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Sticks1 

You simply need to 

- Launch the browser with your website

- Either store the credentials in a variable within PAD. For password use the Sensitive Text type of variable. (OR if you dont want to store in variable then you will need to use the Azure Key Vault mentioned in both videos below)

- "Populate Text field on webapge" to enter the uname/pwd

- "Press button on webpage" to hit the submit button

You need to Add UI elements for the textboxes and button and then use the above actions.

This video will be of help 

Securing inputs in Power Automate Desktop with Azure Key Vault - YouTube

Another useful link

071 - Using Sensitive Text In Power Automate Desktop + Azure Key Vault - YouTube

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
eric-cheng
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Sticks1 ,

Are you building a cloud flow or a desktop flow to do this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark my post as a solution
If you have found my response helpful, please give it a thumbs up

Connect on LinkedIn

Sticks1
Regular Visitor

Hi Eric

I'm trying to use a desktop flow.  In theory I want to download a csv file from the website to my PC, then open in excel and format etc.

Thanks

Sticks1

VJR
Super User
Super User

Hi @Sticks1 

- Does the login screen at times ask for any Captcha (any numeric code or Image details to enter) before submitting?

- Consider verifying whether the password saved in the browser is the right one.

- Also it would be a good idea to enter the credentials from within the desktop flow rather than using the Auto saved feature.

Sticks1
Regular Visitor

Hi VJR,

No, the login screen literally has a "Submit" icon to click to enter.

The password is definitely correct since I login into this extranet portal very often with no issues using the saved username and password.

Would you be able to explain how I go about entering the credentials from within the desktop flow?  I imagine that there are many websites that I will need to use this Power Automate program to login into and download data, so I may need this work around everytime?

(Should logging into various websites normally be more straightforward?)

Thanks again

Hi @Sticks1 

You simply need to 

- Launch the browser with your website

- Either store the credentials in a variable within PAD. For password use the Sensitive Text type of variable. (OR if you dont want to store in variable then you will need to use the Azure Key Vault mentioned in both videos below)

- "Populate Text field on webapge" to enter the uname/pwd

- "Press button on webpage" to hit the submit button

You need to Add UI elements for the textboxes and button and then use the above actions.

This video will be of help 

Securing inputs in Power Automate Desktop with Azure Key Vault - YouTube

Another useful link

071 - Using Sensitive Text In Power Automate Desktop + Azure Key Vault - YouTube

Sticks1
Regular Visitor

Thank you VJR - I will try this!

Baldo

Hi @Sticks1

I seems to be having the same issue as you here, driving me crazy :0) 

I've tried everything I can think of including the instructions above, so wondered if you'd cracked it and might have something to share?

Thanks a lot,

Baldo

Sticks1
Regular Visitor

Hi Baldo,

I used the first option - storing the credentials in a variable in PowerAutomate, with the Sensitive text type.  (I dont use Azure since there seemed to be subscriptions etc involved).  

So, create a new variable, with Data Type "String", enter your password as the "Default value" and then click the toggle to "Mark as sensitive" at the bottom.

Then use that variable as part of your Powerautomate process.

Hope this helps

Sticks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Users online (1,762)