cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper II
Helper II

Basic Information regarding what happens when you save and edit, an existing and running flow.

I have an existing flow that is extremely busy. It gets roughly 5 submissions a minute. 
I need to Update this flow, so that it conditionally sends an email. I can do that simply, but my main concern is what happens once i initiate an edit to an existing, running flow? 
Does it pause the Flow? Does the flow still trigger with the most recently saved version? If I click save, and an error appears, will that break my entire flow from operating until i re-save with the error fixed? Or will it still trigger from most recent working version? 

In powerapps, we have two completely separate environments. And we use import/export to update the production environment from our dev environment. this is an additional layer of separation in addition to the save/publish option available in powerapps. In flow, i cannot do that, as I would have duplicate flows running on same trigger, and that is not ideal. 
So what is the most appropriate way of editing a live, production flow? And not miss any trigger instances, but also taking into account I may not get it perfectly correct in one sitting/save. (in this case with condition>send an email, i think i can manage, but i want to be clear for the future if a more time consuming update is required)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User III
Super User III

@KyleJ 

Once a Flow starts, it will run to completion with the Flow as it existed when the Flow started.

Regarding editing a live Flow, you might consider making a copy of your Flow and making the changes in the copy - be sure that the copy has been disabled.  When you are ready, enable the new Flow (the copy) an disable the current Flow.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User III
Super User III

@KyleJ 

Once a Flow starts, it will run to completion with the Flow as it existed when the Flow started.

Regarding editing a live Flow, you might consider making a copy of your Flow and making the changes in the copy - be sure that the copy has been disabled.  When you are ready, enable the new Flow (the copy) an disable the current Flow.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (28,956)