cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_B

Basic Questions Regarding SharePoint Site Address and Folder iD

One of my clients has shared one of their SharePoint folders with me. I have the folder open in by browser right now, and I can see the MS Word documents it contains.

I would like to trigger a flow to notify me whenever one of the documents is modified. (I realize this can be done by SharePoint without Flow. This is a practice flow to check when the items are changed. I will expand what it does after I c an make this simple example work.)

I cannot figure out what to enter for the Site Address and Folder ID.

I tried entering my client's SharePoint server name, the complete folder URL from my browser location window, a "Shareable Link" from SharePoint, bits and pieces of the URL from the borwser location, and everything gives me:

Unable to access the Folder in dataset https://xxxxxxxxx.sharepoint.com/firstfolder/secondfolder/thirdfolder/Content. Ensure that you have the right Permissions.

"Content" is the folder I am looking at currently. Therefore I have the right Permissions.

It seems I should be able to copy and paste SOMETHING from my browser - when I am looking right at the folder and files I want to work with in SharePoint - into Site Address and Folder ID and have that work. 

Can anyone help me know what to puit in those fields? It seems so simple, but nothing works.

Thanks,

David

4 REPLIES 4
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @David_B,

Would you please explain a bit for the shared SharePoint folder link?

Are you a member of your client organizaiton?

If not, then I am afraid it is not available for you to use Microsoft Flow in such situation.

Microsoft Flow currently is not available for external users for an organization.

For users within the same organizaiton, SharePoint site Address should be the following:

https://xxxxxxxxx.sharepoint.com/

This represents the Team site (Site structure for reference),

If there are several subsites has been created under the team site, such as testing, building , for example the testing site, then the Site address should be:

https://xxxxxxxxx.sharepoint.com/testing/

Once you have specified the site address, you should be able to navigate to the proper folder by clicking the Folder icon at the right side of the Folder ID field:

38.PNG

Hope the information above is helpful.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the quick, detailed response. I really appreciate it!

I checked with the client that is sharing the SharePoint folder with me, and here is what they said:

"From a technical standpoint, you are authenticated in our environment as an external user (you can let Microsoft know this) which means you have logged in successfully using a Microsoft Live enabled email address and our SharePoint environment recognizes that account. From a business perspective, you are not a member of our organization. Maybe you can provide this context to Microsoft and that will help them."

Does that mean Flow will not work for me?

Thanks,

David

Have you created a connection using the credentials with which you access sharepoint ?

once you enter the sharepoint site information, is the folder path loading up ??

adding @KeremY from connector team to help as well.

philippec

I had the same issue. Solved by clicking the three dots (top right) of the trigger and adding a new connection. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,335)