cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dreamsat
Helper III
Helper III

Best practice to run all flows under 1 service account?

We created a SharePoint site template with metadata, libraries, contenttypes. In these libraries we created a flow with as triggerd created or modified. Foreach new site we import the existing flow and select the correct sitecollection url and document library.

So after a while you will have allot of sites and allot of flows. I don't want to create or import the flow with my own account because then I will be the owner of the flow and the flow will run under my account. I would like to create 1 service account and use this account to create the flow and import the flow. Is this OK? Or do I will have some performance issue or throttle issue that this account is doing allot of requests in Flow/SharePoint?

ps. I dont like to create 1 new service account foreach new sitecollection. It cost to much time and you have hundreds of service accounts.

9 REPLIES 9
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Using the same service account for multiple Flows in multiple lists and libraries shouldn't have a detrimental effect on performance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Join me at 365 and PWR EduCon in Chicago
EduCon Chicago 2022

RezaDorrani
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @dreamsat 

Multiple service accounts would require multiple liucense

Single service account should work withput any performance impact

However post Oct 1 with new licensing chnages coming into effect, there will be new throttling limits for number of request a particular acocunt can make via Flow and if one service account  is used for all cases, it would surely hit that throttling limit

the new licening plans alos include purchasing additional plans to increase this limit per account which would be the case for your service account (this is a 24 hr request limit per account - you can read more about these in the links below)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/powerapps-flow-licensing-faq

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/api-request-limits-allocations

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

I agree with @RezaDorrani accept I'm not too sure using one account will definately hit the throttling limits.  MS has said that the limits they are putting in place will affect less than 5% of current users and there are already a lot of organizations that run all their Flows on one service account.  I would test before you assume the limit will be a problem.  MS has also said that if you hit the limit occasionally they will not shut off your Flow, but will contact you to buy additional capacity for the future (or you can transfer ownership of some flows to other accounts).  But the additional capacity may be cheaper than an additional licensed service account.

EduCon Chicago 2022

@Pstork1 

Limit is 2k requests per user per day

If a service account is running 2k flows (assuming flow usage grows) - one is bound to hit this limit

Yes, @RezaDorrani if you are actively running 2,000 flows.  But that's not the same as having 2,000 Flows Owned by a service account.  They may or may not be all running.  In either case it will probably be cheaper to buy the additional capacity then it will be to buy another license for another service account.  I'm just suggesting they not assume the worst case scenario and spend more money on something that may not happen.

EduCon Chicago 2022

Hi @Pstork1 

The limit for the 2k limit is 24 hours (this is a request limit)

so if the service account does own even 200 flows and each flow has  certain requests it makes - it could possibly hit the limit

Buying additional capacity would be the best case scenario in that case which is exactly what I was recommending as well

They should only buy more capacity if required (all of this post Oct 1 licensing updates)

@RezaDorrani @Pstork1 Thank you for your fast response. So default the limit is 2000 requests per user per day. What is the definition of 1 request? Is it 1 flow request or is it each action in the flow is 1 request?

We would like to use 1 service account for all flows in all sitecollections. So in the future there will be hundreds of site collections, hundreds of libraries, hundreds of flows. Where can I find the price when you would like to increase the limit?

@dreamsat 

here is the documentation on the request limits

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/api-request-limits-allocations

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

@dreamsat 

No word on the exact definition of an API request, but you can be sure it will not be a Flow run.

You can take a look at your current API usage at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/analytics/flow > Connectors.

Helpful resources

Announcements
October Events

Mark Your Calendars

So many events happening this month - don't miss out!

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Users online (3,108)