cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ricka
Level: Powered On

Bi directional sync between Outlook and Google Calendars

I'm attempting to sync events (creations, updates, and deletes if possible) in two directions from Outlook 365 to Google Calendar and vice versa. I've looked at a couple of community flows as well as some information on the internet, but a lot of it seems outdated or incorrect and thought I'd post what I have so far here to make sure the setup is correct and up to date and hopefully document it for anyone else that might want to do the same.

Currently, I've got the following flows:

1. Copy new events in Office 365 to Google Calendar and send a notification: https://us.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/f9a2b550ebca11e6847527b0ccfd422d/copy...
  2. Update Google Calendar events previously created from Office 365: https://us.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/0e21ee50b17a11e68af78d1a54677f1f/upda...

I was about to activate the "Copy Google Calendar to Outlook.com Calendar" flow: https://us.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/1aec5e38c58444d7b5bb8e97bee9742d/copy...

However, I realized a couple of things. This last flow isn't fully fleshed out. It has a condition to ignore "things copied in the other direction" but doesn't actually provide the criteria. Flow 1 above provides the criteria for it's condition (Body does not contain "on your Google Calendar"). So it looks like someone has at least started to think about making these work together, but I'm wondering how much alteration is needed.

Additionally, there appears to be a more highly recommended flow related to Google Calendar to manage the updates from Outlook to Google here - Update Google Calendar events when an event is modified in Outlook.com: https://us.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/655afffb6ec441268738eae0544421bf/upda...

I'm just wondering if anyone has set this up before, which flows they used, and what (if any) alterations were made.

Things to keep in mind:

1. Syncing in both directions requires a filter on each side to prevent an infinite loop of events being created.
  2. These filters need to work together. i.e. Flow A needs to add some text that Flow B can recognize and filter on and not send the event back.
  3. Updates from Outlook seem to be trickier and separated into two flows (one for creates, another for updates)

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
swordfishBob
Level: Power Up

Re: Bi directional sync between Outlook and Google Calendars

Hi.

I'd be happy with good one-way sync. I tried both the templates you mentioned above.

The one for new events seems to work, but clearly doesn't do updates or deletions.

The other does matching by subject, which has problems:

1. If you have multiple events with the same subject, e.g. "department meeting", updating one on Office365 will make them all change to the same date, time, description etc in google.

2. If you change the subject of an event, it won't be found to update.

Reliable sync would need either a unique ID be copied somewhere, or else the flow needs the "before change" values to search with, assuming those are accessible through the connector.

There's online mentions (including Youtube demo) of "Sync Events from Office 365 Calendar to Google Calendar", which looks to have more pieces than the above templates, but I cannot find the template from the demo.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 128 members 5,074 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: